Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

LIGHTWEIGHT Backpacking...

Moosie

Grand poopa
Next weekend, I'm taking my OUT of SHAPE TUSHI on a backpacking trip...

I'm making a master list with a breakdown of EVERY item down to the BULLETS and match's..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHECK out this list from 10/00 :D

http://pub17.ezboard.com/fhunting2877frm14.showMessage?topicID=111.topic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used that for a basis... NOW I'm modifying it

ANY/ALL help will be apreciated....

HERE is a generic list (to get you started helping me). I'll get more stuff added as it goes on then UPDATE this list as it goes with your help. I will also post a picture of all the supply's as they are laid out in a room upstairs

HERE is the breakdown of the hunt.

1. SOLO hunt 7 miles back in, 3,800-4,200 feet elevation climb.

2. Leaving Friday the 4th coming out Sun Eve or Monday mid day. (2 - full days 2- 1/2 days

3. Weather is :

Fri Oct 04 Mostly Sunny 65°/32° 10 %
Sat Oct 05 Partly Cloudy 67°/33° 10 %
Sun Oct 06 Partly Cloudy 67°/34° 10 %
Mon Oct 07 Partly Cloudy 67°/32° 10 %

GEAR list :

MAIN:
backpack(Internat frame) Kelty 5,500 Sq. The
Tent
Sleeping bag
Air Mattress
Empty Day pack

Weapon:
300 Win mag (Leopold 3x9 scope)
14 - 190 grain bullets

TECHNOLOGY:
Rangefinders
binoc's 8X30 Swarovski
Camcorder (2- 5.5hr / 3 2.5hr batteries)
Compact Tripod (Camcorder)
Cardboard camera
4 Extra AA Batteries
Headlamp (2 AAA batteries)

CLOTHS:
Pants (CAMO)
1 -Poly underpants
1 -Poly Long sleeve
6 pair socks
1 “Silent” Rain jacket (NO pants, not expecting rain)
2 pair Gloves (ONE fingerless, one full fingered)
Lucky Hunting hat ( :D )

(Plus the cloths I wear hiking first day)
Boots/Belt/2 pr socks/undies/Shirt

FOOD:
Breakfast / Lunch packs
Including 2 packs Crackers, 2 pop tarts, sandwich bag of trail mix, 4 candies, 2 packs Fruit rollups, all sealed in a Gallon Zip-lock w/ air sucked out (one for each day

Dinner: Mountain House Freeze dried 20 OZ. Packets (one for each night)

Desert: 1 Freeze dried ice cream sandwich / freeze dried blueberry crumble
Water tablets

32 oz. Water container
1 16oz – water bottle for day pack
Collapsible 2 1/2 gal. Water jug
Crystal light powder

Other cooking stuff:

1- Titanium Pan (FOR cooking, not for pictures)
1- pocket rocket stove
matches
1- container fuel

Little Stuff:
2 cutting knives
fork/spoon
2 GOOD Game Bags
2 Garbage bags
100 Ft. nylon rope
Hunting license / TAG
2- 8 ½ x 11 MAP (Of the area)

first AID:
Vicks for breathing
8 cough drops
Tylonol
Ambesol
Modern day Moleskin
Q-Tips
Mountain Money (BUTT WIPE)
Tooth Brush/Paste
GUM

Weight of the Pack is Around 55 lbs. I'll verify weight and see.

lucky your'e a big fella oscar ;) 3to5 days for me 35/40 lbs max as under
Pack ,bivvy tent,sleeping bag,pad rifle/ammo/knife,binocs,headlamp,goretex jacket, polyprops, shorts,hat, gloves, socks two pair, {wot in hell do ya need 8 pairs for
}dried food,loaf bread, salami,cheese,nrg food and drink, coffee ,sugar, coleman cooker,2 billys,plastic plate cup spoon fork cell phone compass and 1st aid kit.

Saw the thread topic"Lightweight Backpacking " and thought that Weekend Warrior was getting involved with you. ;) :D

Naw wish ya the best. Be safe and come back whole in body. Know better than to ask for that in mind also. ;) :D

Moosie, sounds really great , good luck , but sorry man you do NOT even come close to lightweight backpackin, just finished a 3 dayer myself and 32lbs felt mighty fine, keep tryin, 8 pair of socks? where are ya wearing em all? suppose to be your feet..
was you in the navy?;)

For two days, or even three, perhaps you could just make some sandwiches for dinner, and leave the stove, pot, and fuel behind?

One set of cloths should be enough, but I don't know the area you hunting in.

Are you setting up one base camp for both days, or will you pack up and move on in the mornings? I was just wondering in the daypack could be left behind, if you were moving camps during the day?

I'd also agree with the Kiwi ;), that's a lot of socks! But people are different, and you may need that many.

Good luck! (what ya hunting?)

Here's my list for tomorrow...
If you notice. Nothing in here is very heavy.. :D
HUNTING TRAVEL KIT

Hunting knife, Hunting/Fishing license, Maps,
Hoary Hoary knife , Tin cup, Compass,
Daypack, Coffee, Pen/Pencil,
Food, Sewing kit, Odorless soap,
Fishing ,line Rope, Scent kill,
Hooks/Sinkers/Lures , Flash light, Elk calls,
Polar Fleece Sleeping sack, Extra batteries, Bow/Arrows/Release,
Extra socks/t-shirts, Lighters, Hat,
Pants/Shirt, Water containers , Gloves,
Toilet paper, Binoculars, Pit stick,
Foot powder, Neoprene booties, Camera,
Plastic, Fanny pack, Face mask,
Just guessing..It should weigh about 25-30 lbs not counting the bow.... :D
Unless I get some thing..I will be gone from five to seven days...
:D :D
"""Hunt Talk Hat and Tee"""

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-29-2002 18:39: Message edited by: ELKCHSR ]</font>

Moosie:

You're carrying way too much. :( That 55# is going to feel like 550# after seven miles. :eek:

Get rid of the daypack. Carry your backpack mostly empty when hunting.

I suggest you jettison the CamCorder & tripod. Too heavy. The cardboard camera is all you're going to need.

Dump the rangefinders too. Zero your rifle at 200 yards (+1 1/2" at 100 yards) and shoot dead on at anything within 300 yards. Their not going to stand still long enough for you to take a reading.

What kind of a tent are you taking? Maybe consider off loading that too. Take a Bivouac bag and an 8'x10' nylon tarp.

Dump one of the water carriers. Two is enough.

You don't have enough game bags. You will need 5 for an elk.

Good luck. Hope you get the chance to experience the misery of packing out an elk seven miles.

KC

P.S. Don't forget your compass.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-29-2002 19:06: Message edited by: KC ]</font>

Moosie last yr my pack looked similar to yours and let me tell you,I felt the burn the whole time.Drop the tent and take a tarp with instead.A good pair of binocs will be great and drop the high tech stuff.Take the cardboard camera but other stuff is just extra weight that you dont need.Hope it helps ya.Half the stuff I took last yr will not be going on my next pack in hunt.

KC, It's a deer hunt, 7 miles with a elk is just "SILLY" ;)

OK OK.. THE sock issue, I like changing my socks every day, I wear 2 pair of socks... I guess I could rotate out some socks.... OK, I'll cut that down in 1/2 .. I don't mind not changing Undies, cuz I can throw them away, but the feet with sweaty socks... I'll get Blisters, and then Hikiung out is A nightmare...

As far as the Camcorder, It's a lightweight fit in your PALM camcorder, I'd leave the GUN behind before the Camcorder *WINK*.. It's all about the picture !!!!

The tent is a lightweight (UNDER 5lbs) with all the FLY, pegs, and poles... It's top $ lightweight buletproof tent.

MY pan is a Lightweight Titanium pan and the Stove anc canister is a pocket rocket 3" foldable out one.. I'm guessing Fuel, STOVE and pan are under 1 pound !!!!

Sandwiches weigh more then the dry food I'm packing.. I'll cut down on the lunch... I can go 2 days without ANY food, I did it last year.. HUH WYLEE
after 2 days, a snickers was betterthen my best "FLING" .. hehe

HUNT2MUCH.. I didn't get the NAVEY JOKE ?!?!?

BW, the cloths are right.. I guess I could wear the same cloths, AND jsut change socks. I don't mind pants same day in and out.. but SOCKS ?!?!? HUMmm can't do it *SMILE*

KC, the daypack is jsut a bit of MAterial ?!? Weight almost nothing.. HE backpack is WAY to big to be toating all day... BUT Maybe I'll try.

I will dump the Rangefinders... I was debating...

WATER, well I need them to survive
I can drop 1,500' to a water source then back up again.. but want to pack water for camp, ONE I'm bringing in Empty. If I had scouted one more time. I would have deposited water at camp.

COMPASS ?!?! YAH, WELL, Actually IU'm packing GPS. It's ALL up going in, and ALL down going out. IMPOSSIBLE to get lost, Even in FOG/SNOW !! Jsut head down and you'll hit the road !! GPS is just for pinpointing...

I am goingto pack the phone back in.. If it works I'll make Mrs Moosie post the Updates....

THANX for the LISTS !!! I'm going to post pictures Tuesday night of all my supplies and Hopefully have all the Weights then.... We'll narrow it down from there again !! KEEP up the help !! THANX !!!!

Forecaster calling for snow in some places, ya might wanna think about that. If your going 7 miles in, that means 7 miles out, 14 miles....if you shoot a deer, your probably going to have at least 2 trips thats 28 miles, if you hunt around your camp 4-5 miles a day pretty low amount, you could stack on some miles pretty quick....I hope your in good shape. I would take more then one flashlight though, ditch the rangefinder and few of the camcorder batterys. I would say ditch the camcorder also, but it might be a nice to have around if you have to send off one farewell message to your family or something....yikes!

You can make debri shelters..These are in Tom Browns books..Then you can leave the sleeping bag and tent...LOL.... :D

DEBRIS Shelter.... Uhhh THANX.. BUT No thanx :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would say ditch the camcorder also, but it might be a nice to have around if you have to send off one farewell message to your family or something <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> HAHAH YAH, NOW I'm tempted to pack back in a cell phone... I'm SO high up I think It will work !!! ???

I'm not sure how far back in it is really... I think We clocked 12 miles last time and 3,600 ELEV. I'm going back in a bit further I think but making basecamp around 6-7 miles I think....... ON the 2 trip deal, I have no FUGGIN clue how to get the deer and Stuff out, I think I'll bring out the deer, and ditch the stuff, work a day to relax, and go back in and get the rest... BUT, Thats only if I score on a deer. and I'm guessing it will have to be a nice deer or someone here better shoot me ;) HAHA !!!

Moosie I would suggest for the rest of the week for you to sleep outside in your yard at night to get yourself climatized to the cold.....LMAO.

Sounds like you've got your chit together Oscar. Good luck with the whole adventure. Are you going alone or with someone else?

I went up to my area and set up camp sat, stayed the night and left early sun morning. It will be nice not having to pitch camp Friday evening when I get there!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back