Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Lightfield no longer making hunting ammo

buckbull

Like the title says, Lightfield is no longer making hunting ammunition. I have a first production run of a Browning 12 guage A-bolt shotgun with a twist rate of 1:32. The newer models are now made with a 1:28 to better support the increased velocity of today's sabot slugs. I used Lightfield's Hybred sabot's because they shot extremely well although much slower velocity than sabots today. I originally shot winchester BRI-sabots and could go back to those (assuming they are still made). Both sabot's shoot less than 1400 ft/s. High velocity offerings I've tried are not as accurate. Just wondering if any guys who shot the lightfields went too now. Any suggestions?

That really stinks! I had one one of those A-Bolts and it was awesome with the Lightfield Hybred EXPs. Sure am glad I was able to move it. I did not have nearly as good of luck with the lighter sabots.

50 yard group.

abolt_lightfiled_50_yards.jpg

I looked though my targets and I did have decent luck with Rem Core-Loct Ultra. I'd start with the heaviest slug you can find if the Lightfields are gone forever.

You might try to contact Randy's Hunting Center in Bad Axe, MI. That was ground zero for slug glun hunters before the .450 Bushmaster came along. They might be able to help with finding a quantity of Lightfields.

My old Ithaca shot the Federal Coppers well, and my buddy bought it from me and switched to Remington Accutips and says it likes those even better. I killed my biggest buck with the Federal Barnes Expander when they made those

Like the title says, Lightfield is no longer making hunting ammunition. I have a first production run of a Browning 12 guage A-bolt shotgun with a twist rate of 1:32. The newer models are now made with a 1:28 to better support the increased velocity of today's sabot slugs. I used Lightfield's Hybred sabot's because they shot extremely well although much slower velocity than sabots today. I originally shot winchester BRI-sabots and could go back to those (assuming they are still made). Both sabot's shoot less than 1400 ft/s. High velocity offerings I've tried are not as accurate. Just wondering if any guys who shot the lightfields went too now. Any suggestions?
I've heard brennekes are a good alternative. I've shot the KO's with good accuracy from my Benelli M2 slug gun.

Remington Accutips. I tried 3 different Lightfields and the best they’d shoot was 5” at 100 yards. The accutips shoot under 1” at 100 yards. Yes, under 1”. The rifle is a custom Savage 212 with a 1.250” diameter ER Shaw barrel.

Lightfield hasn’t produced hunting ammo since the spring of 2019. I guess they’ve just been selling their last production run since then.

Wow, I'm surprised to see this. Had to go and check their website just to verify. I'm friends with a close cousin of the family that owns Lightfield, why he hasn't said anything to me is shocking. At least I have a few boxes of the 20 gauge slugs and 12 gauge left. I guess when I run out I'll have to find a new load for both slug guns.

I called Lightfield a couple of days ago to get the real story on why they stopped making slugs. I spoke with their R&D engineer, which just happened to be Randy Fritz, the owner of Tarhunt custom slug guns.

Long story short is, lightfield slugs were too good. Hunters would buy a case of slugs that lasted 5-10 years or longer. The average slug hunter only shoots a couple of slugs a year.

The cost of making them versus selling them was costing the company money.

I offered to buy the injection molds but they won’t sell.

I recently acquired SlugsRUs and should be up and running soon. Those where the closest to Lightfields in both accuracy and performance.

Attachments

• IMG_9250.jpeg
    IMG_9250.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9080.jpeg
    IMG_9080.jpeg
    692.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0