Lighter arrow recommendation.... thoughts?

lifesupport4u

Currently shooting 5mm FMJs with a 125 grain broadhead. I am hoping to set up something lighter to be flatter shooting for a pronghorn hunt....

Any recomendations or do I just switch to 100 grain broadheads and call it good?

Thanks

You dont need fmjs on antelope. I think axis are available in 5mm, I am shooting victory RIPs. Both of which will lighten your set up by quite a bit.

I'm not really one to speak on light arrows though, mine for this year are 510gr.

plan on ~2fps change for every 1lb of draw weight or 5gr of arrow weight. (In other words switching from 100gr to 125gr heads would yield you an extra ~10fps) Rzrbck918 asked the questions that we need answers to

I am pretty new to archery. I have been shooting my bow about a year. This will be my first hunt.

I am sighted in, but I don't know my arrow speed. I can tell you it is pretty slow compared to other folks I have watched at the range and at a 3d shoot I did. My setup was initially intended to be for elk and possibly mule deer... but due to a baby on the way this pronghorn hunt keeps me closer to home and in cell range.

I may just end up leaving my setup... its what I have been shooting the last year and the only setup I have used... just putting feelers out there for what to look into if I change here in the next couple days.

as to the previous questions...

510 grain arrow setup
29" draw
62# draw weight
75% let off

I would recommend axis arrows if you like the 5mm.if you are an average build I'd imagine you shoot 28ish" at 70lbs so im guessing you shoot a 340ish spine shaft now. So your fmj I'm guessing weighs around 500grains at roughly 275fps.

These are based off 28" draw, 70lbs, and 330ibo bow. 28" arrow and 125grain head with standard inserts.

Easton Axis 340 will weigh: 440gr and be at 285fps.
Gold tip kinetic Pierce 340: roughly 435gr at 287fps
Gold tip airstrike 340: 420gr at 292fps
Victory RIP XV 350: 360gr at 310fps
Black eagle Carnivore 350 and X-impact 350: 395gr at 300fps.

The faster the arrow the harder to tune for perfect flight. Personally I the lightest I would go is 425 and keep the speed around 280fps. Its easy to tune and gives you enough speed. I personally would go out and shoot at different random ranges and get good at field judging distance. Couple that with a range finder and you can make any arrow work.

I would recommend axis arrows if you like the 5mm.if you are an average build I'd imagine you shoot 28ish" at 70lbs so im guessing you shoot a 340ish spine shaft now. So your fmj I'm guessing weighs around 500grains at roughly 275fps.

These are based off 28" draw, 70lbs, and 330ibo bow. 28" arrow and 125grain head with standard inserts.

Easton Axis 340 will weigh: 440gr and be at 285fps.
Gold tip kinetic Pierce 340: roughly 435gr at 287fps
Gold tip airstrike 340: 420gr at 292fps
Victory RIP XV 350: 360gr at 310fps
Black eagle Carnivore 350 and X-impact 350: 395gr at 300fps.

The faster the arrow the harder to tune for perfect flight. Personally I the lightest I would go is 425 and keep the speed around 280fps. Its easy to tune and gives you enough speed. I personally would go out and shoot at different random ranges and get good at field judging distance. Couple that with a range finder and you can make any arrow work.

I'd knock 10-15fps off those figures for a 28" draw.

Op stated he is a 29" draw at 62 lbs. With a 330ibo bow at 500gr arrow your looking closer to 250fps.

I'd knock 10-15fps off those figures for a 28" draw.

Op stated he is a 29" draw at 62 lbs. With a 330ibo bow at 500gr arrow your looking closer to 250fps.
I agree. I typed up that before I saw his specs and I just used 28" at 70lbs. But yes 29" at 62 your looking at close to 250fps with a 500 grain fmj

If your not going to shoot out past 50 yards you should be fine. Them pin gaps and knowing your yardage becomes very important with any setup but even more so at those speeds at distance. But if your stacking arrows at 50 and 60, going lighter/faster may make up for a lapsed judgement in distance in the moment. Also 510gr arrow is on the “more than enough” side of things when it comes to momentum. Also something to think about, new arrows and broadheads cost money and time to get it dialed and we’re already in August. Good luck

Lose the fmj’s. All carbon is better anyway, plus aluminum bends, carbon doesn’t. I shoot a 400 grain arrow with 72 lbs at 28”. It zips right through an elk if you don’t hit the opposite shoulder on the way out. 👍

Hey, folks - are you really recommending switching to a lighter arrow 2-4 weeks before the season starts? Dude said it was his first hunt.

Don't change a thing.

If you're wanting to make a jump, change your arrows during the off season.

Maybe next year you lighten things up and can dial in or gap shoot to extend your range by 5-10 yards, but a lighter arrow is not a game changer at the 11th hour, it's a game ender when there's not enough time to practice with new gear before taking it afield. That includes -25 grains off the broadhead. Difference is minuscule, and has a much greater chance of throwing you off than giving you an extra edge.

Hey, folks - are you really recommending switching to a lighter arrow 2-4 weeks before the season starts? Dude said it was his first hunt.

Don't change a thing.

If you're wanting to make a jump, change your arrows during the off season.

Maybe next year you lighten things up and can dial in or gap shoot to extend your range by 5-10 yards, but a lighter arrow is not a game changer at the 11th hour, it's a game ender when there's not enough time to practice with new gear before taking it afield. That includes -25 grains off the broadhead. Difference is minuscule, and has a much greater chance of throwing you off than giving you an extra edge.
I have to agree with elkfever2. Try to keep it under 40yds and don’t shoot in the wind. Switch arrows next year.

Take a look at Archers Advantage in the off-season. I've been using it for the last couple of years to play around with arrow configurations. It's good for looking at different arrows, correct spine, sight tapes, foc, etc. It's nice to play the "what if" game before dropping the money on arrows. It's about $12 for an annual online subscription. Good luck on your hunt!

If you want to go fairly light and micro you can't go wrong with the Victory VAP elites or Gold Tip Pierces (and they hit like a ton of bricks).... The CE Blue Streak RZ is great arrow too - it's just standard diameters so you don't get some of the other benefits of a mico shaft... Do agree with the concern/question as to switches arrows this close to the hunt though.... One thing I've done before is put a different sight on and then sight that one in for the other arrow - gives you a chance to try and see how a lighter/faster arrow is flying without risking your current sight/setup...

A lighter faster arrow will exaggerate any flaws in form or bow tuning. You're too close to the season to be messing with anything. Your setup will kill anything in North America. Buy your baby something cool with the money you'll save by not buying new arrows.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back