Liberals are Going to be mad

Nemont

June 29, 2004

Consumer confidence jumps higher than expected in June
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- Consumer confidence, which barely budged in May, jumped higher than anticipated in June, the New York-based Conference Board reported Tuesday.

The Consumer Confidence Index increased nearly 9 points to 101.9, up from the revised 93.1 in May. The latest reading was much better than the 95 that analysts had expected.

Lynn Franco, director of The Conference Board's Consumer Research Center, said the strong improvement in current conditions has propelled consumer confidence to levels not seen since June 2002, when the indicator was 106.3

"Looking ahead, consumers expect the economy to continue to grow at a healthy clip and to continue to generate additional jobs," Franco said. "And, with prices at the pump beginning to ease, the short-term outlook remains favorable."

Economists closely track consumer confidence because consumer spending accounts for two-thirds of all U.S. economic activity.
Business - Reuters

Oil Falls to 2-Month Low on Iraq Optimism

2 hours, 4 minutes ago Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices fell to their lowest in two months on Tuesday as the handover of power in Iraq (news - web sites) raised hopes for less sabotage and steadier exports.

U.S. light crude settled 1.6 percent, or 58 cents, lower at $35.66 a barrel.

Growing U.S. commercial supplies and higher OPEC (news - web sites) output have eased fears about summer gasoline shortages and knocked about $6 a barrel off the price of oil since record New York futures highs at the start of June.

News over the weekend that southern Iraqi oil exports resumed after pipeline sabotage weighed on values, as did the end of a strike at Norway's state-owned oil company.

London's Brent crude settled 59 cents lower at $33.11 a barrel.

Monday's earlier-than-expected handover of Iraqi sovereignty had prompted selling, which continued on Tuesday.

Gasoline futures fell more than two cents to $1.124 a gallon after dropping about more than six cents a gallon on Monday.

A 23 percent fall in U.S. gasoline prices since mid-May has helped pull crude down from the $40 level as fears for summer supply shortages diminish.

"The fact that fundamentals are softening and prices heading down comes as no surprise," said analysts at PFC Energy.

Chinese efforts to slow economic growth, reduced fears over the security of Middle Eastern supplies, and higher OPEC output were driving the price downturn, PFC said.
Tuesday June 29, 10:15 PM

Fed meets to raise US interest rates

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Federal Reserve policymakers opened a two-day meeting to make a potentially risky U-turn by raising interest rates for the first time in four years, analysts say.

The Federal Open Market Committee is certain to push up the federal fund target rate, which commercial banks charge each other overnight, from a 1958 low of 1.00 percent to 1.25 percent, they said.

A decision will be announced Wednesday at about 2:15 pm (1815 GMT).

Investors seemed to dislike the prospect.

A survey by UBS and Gallup showed 52 percent of respondents believed the Federal Reserve should leave rates untouched over the next three months, 34 percent agreed with a rise and 11 percent backed a cut.

Rates are only rising, however, because of sustained strength of the economy is generating new jobs and feeding inflation fears, analysts said.
Consumer confidence shot to a two-year high this month, catapulted by a jobs boom and solid economic prospects, a survey by the Conference Board showed Tuesday.

The consumer confidence index, compiled from a survey of 5,000 households, leapt 8.8 points to 101.9, the economic research group said.

It was the strongest showing since June 2002.

"This is good news for economic growth as the more confident people are, especially about their jobs, the more they may be willing to spend," said Joel Naroff, president of Naroff Economic Advisors.

"For the Fed, this is just another reason to raise the funds rate tomorrow. How far and how fast depends upon inflation."
If Bush was responsible for all that was wrong, will you Anti Bush folks give him credit when things begin to turn around?

All those who hate the president need the U.S. to fail economically, in Iraq as well as in the war on terror. It is only by bringing everyone down that a liberal can gain anything.

Nemont

All those who hate the president need the U.S. to fail economically, in Iraq as well as in the war on terror. It is only by bringing everyone down that a liberal can gain anything.
Well put Nemont. I was going to say the same thing after reading about half your post. Glad I didn't give into my A.D.D. lol! It is sad that liberals are probably praying for these failures. At the same time, Gunner puts in all this time posting his anti-Bush dribble that appears to be convincing to only one person - himself. Keep it coming EG, I'm enjoying it immensely.

You know this is great news however I am thinking at the end of the day Kerry will be our next President. Kerry is in a really good position right now. He is talking about creating jobs, shrinking the deficit and fixing Irag. Kerry knows one truth, all of these things will work themselves out, the deficit is shrinking due to the growing economy, jobs are being created and Irag will start to stabilize although we might not see that for another year or so. If he can get in to the Presidency he can claim HE was the one who fixed the problems, and the American people who to a large degree think that it's the Presidents doing that causes the economy to grow and deficits to recede or grow will agree with him. 8 years for Kerry. 8 years of liberal judges, anti gun positions and 8 years of just plain liberal leadership. This country will be a very different place 10 years from now.

PS , I think it will be a real possibility that one or both houses of congress will swing to the D column. This ain't being negative or defeatist, it's just looking at the polls, the mood of the country and the newsmedia and forming an honest opinion.

Ole EG is gonna be a happy dude come November. If that happens though we can spend a couple of hours a day posting negative articles on Kerry, thus driving EG to the point of madness :D :D

FECL,

I sometimes agree with you and then I read something and think Bush still has a chance. It would be a tragedy for our country to have more years of liberals in charge of the Whitehouse and either the senate or the house.

I guess that is what makes our country great is the our democracy. I don't have to agree with it but those are the rules.

I will say this if Kerry is our next president I will not denigrate him and make fun of him as I respect the office of president. It makes me sick the way people disrespect the office of the president. I will never agree with his politics but I won't hate him like so many liberals hate president Bush.

Nemont

Originally posted by feclnogn:

PS , I think it will be a real possibility that one or both houses of congress will swing to the D column.
Personally I believe that the country benefits when the President is from one party and Congress is controlled by the other party. This way if anything happens there must be compromise. (That is a bad word for a politician)

Yes gridlock is possible and likely at times. But WTF it is better than having one ideaology(sp) shoved up ones ass.

Here's a daily poll, if you want to watch.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Presidential_Tracking_Poll.htm

In the last 30 days, they've been tied on 11 days, but Bush has been ahead on 10 days and Kerry on 9 days.

The employment index is at a maximum for the year!

I say, boycott France. A guy at work just told me a young man in his church was denied a visa to work with a church in France for a year. He could go to Russia and do it though, they said.
The French have got a problem. I heard a lot of the weapons shooting at our guys in Iraq came from France and were illegally sold/sent to Iraq in the last 10 years.

Maybe I'll start a new thread.

This is some thing that Rush is alway's saying, Government gridlock is great for the country usually, the politicians are so busy infighting and getting no where, the rest of the country gets to move onward unhindered...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back