Leupold VX5 vs VX6 - New Scope Needed

SticksMcKinley

I'm in the market for a new scope for my new rifle on the way in 6.5 PRC. I have the VX5 2-10x42 on another rifle and have been very pleased with it. I'm thinking about a little more magnification on the new one with the VX5 3-15x44 or the VX6 2-12x42. Any recommendations one way or the other? The VX6 is considerably more expensive, but I do like the size of it and 12x seems just about perfect. I'm just not sure if I can justify the additional expense. Please advise - thanks!

Vx5hd same glass as vx6hd just different power ranges and more reticle choices. I believe the vx6hd also has exposed windage turret

I just put the vx5 3-15 fire dot on my 340 weatherby for bear season. Really nice scope.

The VX-6hd 2-12 is an awesome scope. Light and compact. Moving from the 5-6 you gain the locking windage turret as well as the anti-cant internal level.

The VX-6hd 2-12 is an awesome scope. Light and compact. Moving from the 5-6 you gain the locking windage turret as well as the anti-cant internal level.

I think you just pushed me over to the VX6 with the anti-cant feature. I missed that in the description and it would be helpful.

Thanks to all for the replies!

I have VX5HD & VX6HD. I LOVE the glass, the locking elevation turret, the internal anti-cant and the locking windage turret. I have also come to like the included aluminum scope caps that come with VX6 (you can buy separately for the VX5 for $125). If you can afford it, go with 6. If not get the 5s and be super happy with those - the glass and the locking elevation turret are still great.

I bought a VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot duplex from schmalts. I liked it so much a second VX-5HD, this one with a windplex reticle, found its way to my home a few months later. If you got the money, the VX-6HD has it all, but I don’t feel I gave up much to go with the VX-5HD. I felt the VX-5HD has the better value; as the Big Fin describes it - optimal intersection of cost and performance.

I bought a VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot duplex from schmalts. I liked it so much a second VX-5HD, this one with a windplex reticle, found its way to my home a few months later. If you got the money, the VX-6HD has it all, but I don’t feel I gave up much to go with the VX-5HD. I felt the VX-5HD has the better value; as the Big Fin describes it - optimal intersection of cost and performance.

+1 for schmalts - amazing pricing on the ones I have. Also, I like the illuminated TMOA reticle available on the 6s. But matter of taste, my son prefers firedot available on both.

Back