Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Leupold VX Freedom 3x9

peterk1234

Hi all. I put an offer locally on a used Wetherby Vanguard Series II in 223. This is going to be a coyote gun, to be used in the woods in Massachusetts. I doubt I will ever have a shot longer than 75 yards. I would love to, but just not going to happen. I am looking for a decent, yet affordable scope. I have a Leupold VX 3i 3x9 on my tikka 308. I am very pleased with the glass. So I figured a VX Freedom 3x9, may be a nice compromise for this gun. I should add that this gun will make its way out permanently to Montana in less than a year, probably for the same purpose.

I am looking for some experience and feedback, as well as any recommendations for other options if you guys think I am wrong about my choice.

Thank you

Pete

Hi all. I put an offer locally on a used Wetherby Vanguard Series II in 223. This is going to be a coyote gun, to be used in the woods in Massachusetts. I doubt I will ever have a shot longer than 75 yards. I would love to, but just not going to happen. I am looking for a decent, yet affordable scope. I have a Leupold VX 3i 3x9 on my tikka 308. I am very pleased with the glass. So I figured a VX Freedom 3x9, may be a nice compromise for this gun. I should add that this gun will make its way out permanently to Montana in less than a year, probably for the same purpose.

I am looking for some experience and feedback, as well as any recommendations for other options if you guys think I am wrong about my choice.

Thank you

Pete
I also run mostly vx3i’s and love them. I picked up a new 25-06 and was also considering a Freedom but not much luck finding one right now.

I currently have a freedom. 4-12x40 with 30mm tube and side focus, and TMOA reticle. While it’s a fine scope I’m switching to a Vx3i 3.5-10 with cds for two main reasons:
1. KISS mindset. With no moa dashes I’ll have less to distract me, and with a cds dial, I won’t (shouldn’t) need to worry about holdover out to my max range of 300. Also don’t have to think about the side focus.
2. Low light. I was disappointed in the low light performance.

that said, if my shots were all within 75 yards and I wasn’t concerned about shot placement, it would be a great scope. I still may keep it for a dedicated range gun.

I have a Vanguard .223 with a VX Freedom 3-9x40 scope on it. I mainly use it for plinking the steel gongs at our range, and it is probably the most consistent rifle that I do this with.

It has the duplex reticle and a CDs turret, and all I have to do is dial the distance, hold for the wind, and ring the gongs.

At 9x I don't have any problem holding on the 430 yard gong, but 12x would be better.

I also have side focus on the VX 3i 4.5-14x40 scopes that I have on my two primary hunting rifles, and I really like that feature.

I currently have a freedom. 4-12x40 with 30mm tube and side focus, and TMOA reticle. While it’s a fine scope I’m switching to a Vx3i 3.5-10 with cds for two main reasons:
1. KISS mindset. With no moa dashes I’ll have less to distract me, and with a cds dial, I won’t (shouldn’t) need to worry about holdover out to my max range of 300. Also don’t have to think about the side focus.
2. Low light. I was disappointed in the low light performance.

that said, if my shots were all within 75 yards and I wasn’t concerned about shot placement, it would be a great scope. I still may keep it for a dedicated range gun.
I just bought a new freedom CDS 3-9x40 scope from Leupold. I usually buy a scope with parallax adjustment, but I didn’t. Shot for me are max 300 yards. This will be my first Leupold and my question is: I’ll pay more for better quality and features but will I get tired of this freedom line scope and be left wanting more? I want to keep weight low for the rifle so this is why I choose the scope but I’m thinking I don’t need a vx5 but the quality of a vx3 with cds would be a better long term option. Thoughts? It gonna cost about 100-200 dollars to go up from freedom line to 3i but I’ll buy once cry once. A vx5 would be nice but too heavy. Should I just stick to the freedom line or take this back before I open the box and trade it in for a 3i or 3hd Leupold? Thanks for you help and suggestions. 300 wing mag rifle too that this scope is going on.

I recently picked up a Howa Mini in 223, that is now 223 AI, and a $300 Leupold Freedom 3x9x40CDS mounted in Talley rings. Sweet setup, lightweight, very clear and easily rings 8" steel at 300 yds. Parallax adjustment is fine if you have time to fiddle with your scope, but if you hunt close and/or have quick variable shots at game, it is a PITA, have one and it will never be on a hunting rifle for me. Even the CDS dial that is not Zero Lock could be an issue if it gets turned accidently, but the scope was the same price with or without. For the OP, the Freedom is the right choice.

I have that same rifle in a 22-250. Very nice, very accurate, you'll like it. I have a VX- 2 on it, 3x9x40. Killed coyotes out to 440 yards. Also have a Leopold Freedom 3x9x40 on an AR-15. Very nice bright scope.

I just bought a new freedom CDS 3-9x40 scope from Leupold. I usually buy a scope with parallax adjustment, but I didn’t. Shot for me are max 300 yards. This will be my first Leupold and my question is: I’ll pay more for better quality and features but will I get tired of this freedom line scope and be left wanting more? I want to keep weight low for the rifle so this is why I choose the scope but I’m thinking I don’t need a vx5 but the quality of a vx3 with cds would be a better long term option. Thoughts? It gonna cost about 100-200 dollars to go up from freedom line to 3i but I’ll buy once cry once. A vx5 would be nice but too heavy. Should I just stick to the freedom line or take this back before I open the box and trade it in for a 3i or 3hd Leupold? Thanks for you help and suggestions. 300 wing mag rifle too that this scope is going on.
The glass difference bumping to the 3i was what did it for me. It was noticeable enough to justify the price, and the consensus here was it was worth it too.

Thank you

Pete
Personally, I'd look at used VX2. better glass than the freedom line. Pretty sure Schmalt looks poorly on Freedom when I chatted with him about it as well

Personally, I'd look at used VX2. better glass than the freedom line. Pretty sure Schmalt looks poorly on Freedom when I chatted with him about it as well
I don't look poorly on the Freedom line, I just think the VX3 and 5 are far better for anyone who wants to shoot over a longer distance or turn dials

I started with the VX-I in 3-9×40 on a .270 Win.
Most accurate rifle I'd ever shot at that point.

My very first Leupold! It was about 45 years old, so decided I'd send it to Leupold for an "oil change".
Instead of my old, reliable VX-I, they sent me a new "Freedom" 3-9×40.
Nice scope, but it isn't my old VX-I!
I've got a "Freedom" 1.5-4×20 w/"Pigplex" reticle on my AR15 6.8mm Rem SPC.

So far, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back