Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Leupold VX-3HD vs VX-3i

ludville1

For anyone who has had the opportunity to look through both scopes, is the glass noticeably better on the VX-3HD vs the VX-3i? The VX-3HD comes with a throw lever, which is nice, but not a deal breaker for sure.

I had this same problem a month ago. Side by side I couldn’t see much difference but I’ll be fair and say I didn’t have the opportunity to do the comparison at last light. Most of my rifles currently wear vx3i’s and I have no complaints. I ended up with a vx5 this time compliments of Schmalts and it’s been awesome at the range so far.

I just set my rifle up with a VX3 Hd 3.5-10x40. It replaced a VX3i 4-14x50. Not entirely apples to apples but close. Side by side at lower magnifications they are close but I would give the edge to the HD, it just seems more crisp. The big thing for me is the upper magnification ranges being useful on the HD. On the 3i 10x and above was always just a little bit blurry. I tried adjusting the focus and was never really able to be comfortable taking shots at those magnification levels. the HD has the same clarity throughout the entire range. I'm really happy with my purchase.

I would also be curious specifically in regards to a low light comparison between the two and whether it would be worth upgrading my 3i which right now seems to be selling for more than I paid on ebay.

Last edited:
Anyone with updates on how they compare? Just bought a 3.5-10x40 VX-3HD from schmaltz but haven't recieved it yet. Also curious if the CDS was changed to make more robust? Heard of a few issues with the CDS on the VX-3i.

I ended ordering a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Fire Dot Duplex for my new Winchester Super Grade. I usually like at least a 50 mm objective on my scopes, but hopefully this one will be OK.

I ended ordering a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Fire Dot Duplex for my new Winchester Super Grade. I usually like at least a 50 mm objective on my scopes, but hopefully this one will be OK.
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I purchased one from schmaltz last year and have found it to be more than adequate. I think it strikes that perfect balance for hunting, and being equally at home for ringing steel at 600 yards (the farthest target at my nearest outdoor range). It’s currently mounted on my model 70 extreme weather in 6.5 CM. My other rifle is a Sako AV in .270. I currently have a VX-R 3-9 X42 on that rifle and am considering replacing it with another VX-5. Just debating if I want to get another 3-15 or maybe go with the 2-10. Nothing wrong with the VX-R but I am really impressed with the glass on the VX-5. My cousin has one of the higher end Swarovskis and I don’t notice much if any difference between it and my VX-5. I am really impressed with the quality of glass that you get on the Leupold for the money.

I’ll try to get some first like pictures Saturday morning through them both and post them. Once’s a 3hd 3.5-10 and ones a 3i 4.5-14 but that’s the best I can do for you guys

Anyone with updates on how they compare? Just bought a 3.5-10x40 VX-3HD from schmaltz but haven't recieved it yet. Also curious if the CDS was changed to make more robust? Heard of a few issues with the CDS on the VX-3i.

I have two Leupolds with CDS dials. One has the ZL2 set up, the other has the standard CDS dial. Multiple range trips with both and a lot of dialing up and down to various ranges, and I have not had any issues.

As to how they compare, I couldn’t tell you as I have no experience with the VX-3HD. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have the same glass. I’m inclined to believe that the primary difference in price between the two is based on the magnification and other “features”. Hopefully Schmalts will chime in.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I purchased one from schmaltz last year and have found it to be more than adequate. I think it strikes that perfect balance for hunting, and being equally at home for ringing steel at 600 yards (the farthest target at my nearest outdoor range). It’s currently mounted on my model 70 extreme weather in 6.5 CM. My other rifle is a Sako AV in .270. I currently have a VX-R 3-9 X42 on that rifle and am considering replacing it with another VX-5. Just debating if I want to get another 3-15 or maybe go with the 2-10. Nothing wrong with the VX-R but I am really impressed with the glass on the VX-5. My cousin has one of the higher end Swarovskis and I don’t notice much if any difference between it and my VX-5. I am really impressed with the quality of glass that you get on the Leupold for the money.
Thanks for the feedback! I have a VX-5HD 3-15x 56 mm on my Mark V, and it is awesome! That 56 mm is about $200 more than the 44 mm, and I already have too much money wrapped up in the rifle/scope combo., so I went with the 44 mm. I also have 2 VX-R's, a 3-9x 50 mm, and a 4-12x 50. And then I have a Swarovski Z3 4-12x 50 mm, and I think that the glass is better on the VX-5HD!

I have a 25 year old Leupold VX3i 3x9 I think it is. Can't read model# anymore due to wear. I decided to compare side by side with the new L. VX5HD fire dot 2x10. Man, oh man, no comparison. Much better glass and the fire dot is a huge benefit for my tired eyes. the 30mm tube is better then the 1" as well. I almost decided not to bother comparing but am happy I did. Now I have more confidence in my shots and at 10x it's far more cleaner then the old VX3. Even without the fire dot it picks up morning and evening light much better as well. If you're on the fence like I was, take the old and do a side by side comparison. It made the difference for me.

I have two Leupolds with CDS dials. One has the ZL2 set up, the other has the standard CDS dial. Multiple range trips with both and a lot of dialing up and down to various ranges, and I have not had any issues.

As to how they compare, I couldn’t tell you as I have no experience with the VX-3HD. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have the same glass. I’m inclined to believe that the primary difference in price between the two is based on the magnification and other “features”. Hopefully Schmalts will chime in.
I have no clue to what has changed internally. My guess is nothing more than coating tech. In the end for someone looking for a new scope the VX3i is not an option unless you find a NOS or used. I am glad to see the ZL2 put on the CDS though, that is worth something alone

I have 3+ years of experience with Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5×20 on my Ruger 10/22. With 4X range, the glass sight will produce enough magnification.

Last edited:
For anyone who has had the opportunity to look through both scopes, is the glass noticeably better on the VX-3HD vs the VX-3i? The VX-3HD comes with a throw lever, which is nice, but not a deal breaker for sure.
Is there a lot of clarity difference?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back