PEAX Equipment

Leupold vs. Vortex Warranty work

I have owned maybe two dozen Leupold items all scopes, and three range finders. I had one warranty experience. I has sent a non functional range finder back to them, come to find out it was about 6 months out warranty when they received it. They communicated to me that the problem with that range finder was frequent and because of that they would replace it with an updated version.i had new one in the mail in couple days.

I've experienced nothing but great customer service from Leupold. I currently own nine of their rifle scopes, and two spotters. I sent in four of my older VX-6 scopes to be upgraded/fitted with CDS Zero Lock turrets, and received them back in just two weeks. Then I had one of the turrets break a year later, and they promptly fixed it.

As for Vortex, I have two binoculars, and a spotter. I've sent in my binoculars multiple times (I'm very rough on them) to have the eyecups replaced, and they come back thoroughly cleaned and looking almost new. Great customer service as well.

if i can drop my binos off a cliff on accident or lose them in a house fire and get them fixed or replaced... for life... you have me as a customer for life.. i wont buy any optics other than vortex for that simple reason. and i recommend vortex to everyone for that simple reason.

if i can drop my binos off a cliff on accident or lose them in a house fire and get them fixed or replaced... for life... you have me as a customer for life.. i wont buy any optics other than vortex for that simple reason. and i recommend vortex to everyone for that simple reason.
You pay for that "extended warranty" Many items can be purchased as a very similar item for far less money under a different brand with different cosmetics. Vortex, like many others, make nothing. They have no factories they own, and deal with factories that many other brand names also use to make the products with different cosmetics and minor changes. It's fine you like that no fault warranty, but it isn't free by any means.

You pay for that "extended warranty" Many items can be purchased as a very similar item for far less money under a different brand with different cosmetics. Vortex, like many others, make nothing. They have no factories they own, and deal with factories that many other brand names also use to make the products with different cosmetics and minor changes. It's fine you like that no fault warranty, but it isn't free by any means.
oh im not saying its free, but i have no regrets dropping 1k on a pair of binos that are great quality and come with a lifetime no fault warranty...

if i want to ever upgrade i can sell that pair, or better yet give to one of my kids. and the warranty will pass to them. well worth it

Agreed
oh im not saying its free, but i have no regrets dropping 1k on a pair of binos that are great quality and come with a lifetime no fault warranty...

if i want to ever upgrade i can sell that pair, or better yet give to one of my kids. and the warranty will pass to them. well worth it
Agreed, but another option is to buy 2 pair at almost the same price and your kid can have one now. If one takes a crap you broke even.

The Leupold warranty is every bit as good as Vortex. Something overlooked by the Vortex Nation. mtmuley

The Leupold warranty is every bit as good as Vortex. Something overlooked by the Vortex Nation. mtmuley

One company

Warranty Exclusions
These warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication

The other

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

These are clearly different. I’m not saying leupold is bad. I’m just saying we hunt and are active outdoors and accidents are bound to happen. Obviously leupold makes quality products but there is a difference in warranties. Customer service is also a hit or miss thing I feel, one Time can be awesome the next awful for any company

I have had several Leupold scopes. I am happy to say that I have never needed warranty work on any of them.

I did send a 4.5-14 to the Custom Shop to have a M1 elevation turret added. When it came back, my stock windage dial said “Up” instead of “R” in front of the arrow. I am living with it since I know which direction the dial needs to go for windage adjustments and I don’t want to go to the hassle of returning it. However, it is concerning to me that anyone would make that mistake in the first place. To let it go out the door that way does not inspire a lot of confidence in the Custom Shop’s quality control.

7065D843-0EF7-471E-99A9-693936F3C7FA.jpeg

The best warranty a company can offer is one that you never need to use. I, as well as several of my friends, bought into the Vortex marketing and each of us ended up needing repairs. I don’t have a single vortex product right now, and probably never will.

@GearJunky

My experience is somewhat similar to yours, except I managed to damage a vortex scope and a Leupold scope in the same season. So, I sent both in within a day of each other. My experience with Vortex was similar to yours. They emailed me when it was received and emailed me when it left their office (included details of the repair/replacement). Leupold, on the other hand, did not communicate. About the time a week after I heard from Vortex on both occasions I called Leupold and they were great to deal with and answered all my questions. In the end, Vortex was better at communication and returned the scope about two weeks faster.

This was the second Leupold scope I have sent back, so I don't buy into the "I buy Leupold because you don't have to use the warranty". Personally, I don't have a problem buying either Vortex or Leupold. I have had both honor their warranties and think they offer great value for the money.

@GearJunky

My experience is somewhat similar to yours, except I managed to damage a vortex scope and a Leupold scope in the same season. So, I sent both in within a day of each other. My experience with Vortex was similar to yours. They emailed me when it was received and emailed me when it left their office (included details of the repair/replacement). Leupold, on the other hand, did not communicate. About the time a week after I heard from Vortex on both occasions I called Leupold and they were great to deal with and answered all my questions. In the end, Vortex was better at communication and returned the scope about two weeks faster.

This was the second Leupold scope I have sent back, so I don't buy into the "I buy Leupold because you don't have to use the warranty". Personally, I don't have a problem buying either Vortex or Leupold. I have had both honor their warranties and think they offer great value for the money.

Did both companies do the work for free even though the damage was your fault?

Every scope I own (30+??) is a Gold Ring. Over the past 30 years, I've had a few occasions to deal w/ the warranty dept (very few). Every experience has been extremely positive. If not replaced, then it was repaired, serviced, cleaned, and promptly returned. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a sub-par experience, but I believe in Leupold products and service more than any other brand in the industry.
That is not an indictment of Vortex (I've never had an interaction w/ their warranty dept), rather a testimonial for Leupold.

If Leupold had Vortex's customer service they would be 100% unstoppable.

2 things learned from this thread.
  1. Everyone has different experiences with manufacturers. Leupold/Vortex is a Ford/Chevy argument. Does that mean the Ram guys are akin to Swaro's? LOL
  2. mtmuley will only buy Leupold….

[QUOTE="Zach, post: 2909006, member:
[*] mtmuley will only buy Leupold….
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]
I won't and don't only buy Leupold. I will not however, buy another Vortex product ever again. mtmuley

I don't care who made what, everybody makes a lemon sooner or later. It's how they deal with that lemon that matters.

I, personally, do not like either one. That being said, I have a Leupold binocular that is old. I have sent it back to them twice and they repaired it quickly. I also had a Leupold rifle scope that went south. I sent it back twice and then sold it, before I had to send it back again. I have a Vortex bino, now, and it has been great so far. There are way too many failures anymore with Leupold and Vortex. Many of their new scopes have issues with tracking and return to zero. It does not appear that they care enough to truly correct the problems. If the scopes go bad, it is good to at least have good customer service, but I prefer to not have to use the service to start with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back