Leupold scout scopes

dan valasek

I am hoping to be picking up a marlin 1895sbl 45/70. I have vx3 and vx5 scopes on my bolt action rifles. My question on the scout scope is I read where they are designed to be used with both eyes open. I was wondering if using one eye would affect anything since that is how I usually shoot ? Thanks

Sorry for the short response.
I've got a 1.5-4x Leupold scout on my 1895 and I love it. Even on 4 power it's very fast target acquisition and works well with both eyes open or one eye shut.
20220122_152629.jpg

One eye two eyes doesnt matter. Two eyes are faster target acquisition allegedly. I have multiple scout scopes. They are great.

Aren't those guns tapped on top of the receiver for conventional scope? My son-in-law has a Ruger Scout model with scout scope (Vortex I think) and I don't care for either the gun or scope. Gun is heavy (laminate stock) but whippy. Super noisy too. I can shoot animals on the run just fine with my WWII 30-06 Springfield and Nikon 3x9x40. The last three years since mounting that scope I have made these running shots: gemsbuck (two times through the heart 15 yards incoming and 12 yards broadside), mule deer buck (70 yards fell dead), coyote (50 yards through the heart), hartbeest (70 yards in the guts - newly rebarreled two days before trip and bedding shrank). Missed running shots: a couple of kudu (scope reticle came loose, since refurbished), mule deer buck (sketchy bore when cold ... since replaced). Last August in Africa I shot a cape buffalo @ 65 yards on the run through both lungs with borrowed .375 CZ wearing an older 3x9 Leopold. A few days later I missed a kudu bull on the run with borrowed 30-06 (bedding issues with my gun). He jumped a dilapidated fence just as I shot. Got him later in the day when he returned to the same valley (standing at 440 yards in the boiler room with borrowed 270 WSM). Point is making running shots on the run with a conventional scope isn't impossible. It helps immensely to develop skill at moving targets. Every year I usually shoot upwards of 3K rounds skeet, trap, and clays.

Last edited:
I am hoping to be picking up a marlin 1895sbl 45/70. I have vx3 and vx5 scopes on my bolt action rifles. My question on the scout scope is I read where they are designed to be used with both eyes open. I was wondering if using one eye would affect anything since that is how I usually shoot ? Thanks
Which scope did you end up putting on that 45/70?

Being an avid shotgunner, I've taught myself to shoot with both eyes open.

I have Leupold VX3s and VX Freedoms on 7 of my rifles, and even when I have the one cranked up to 18X, I shoot it with both eyes open.

Back