Leupold scope for 308 bolt action

peterk1234

I have scoured through lots of threads on scopes and I still cannot make a decision. I have keyed in on the manufacturer; Leupold. But will the Freedom be all I need or is the VX 3i, just that much more functional? For now, it will be limited to a 100 yard range, but I may join yet another rod and gun club (that will make three) that will afford me shots out to 300 yards. The ultimate goal is to use it to hunt out west (currently reside in Massachusetts), probably never shooting anything further than 250 to 275 yards.

I am not finding many user reviews for the Freedom. And for the life of me I cannot determine the major differences between it and the vx 3i. I understand that the vx 3i has slightly better glass and CDS, but does it matter for my uses and is it worth the extra cost if the the Freedom provides the same durability? I figure that I will set zero at 200 yards, eventually, and leave it be.

Rifles are a new world to me. I hunt mostly with a bow, and sometimes with an inline. I reload a lot of pistol. One of the reasons I decided that a 308 will join the family because it is a classic and the load development looks like it will be a lot of fun. Oh, and love shooting the inline out to 100 yards. Figure a bolt action will just kick it up a notch, or ten. :)

Thanks. Pete

I put a 3-9x40 Marksman with Windplex reticle on my .308 Weatherby. It costs a few $ less but still has the full warranty, and it works great for my situation, which sounds a lot like yours. I only rarely have opportunity to shoot game further than 200 yards, but do get out West most years of late. I zero at 200 yards and the windplex long range graduations hold out well for 300, 400, and 500 yards using 150 grain copper. This year's bull was at 360 yards and I never even thought of wishing for a better scope. My kids and I have also used it on a number of whitetails back east and pronghorns in Wyoming. It's a great scope.

I do have a couple of the earlier VX IIs on rifles and I have nothing but good things to say about anything Leupold.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a 'better' scope if that's what you want, but as I said, my situation is a lot like yours and I have zero complaints about this Marksman.

20190828_171043 resize.jpg

My .308 has a VXii (I think). Its very simple, bright in low light conditions, pretty glare resistant, standard 3x9 duplex reticle. I've made a few pretty lengthy shots on critters with it, the longest was 320yds on a mule deer. Its certainly everything I need for what I do with that rifle and doesn't add a lot of weight to the gun.

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 on my Weatherby Vanguard .223, a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 on my Vanguard .308, and a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus on both my Rem 700 7mm Rem mag and my Vanguard .300 Wby. All have the CDS turret. So far the only custom turret that I've had Leupold make is one for my .300 Wby for my 180 grain Barnes TTSX handloads. That turret is dead on at all ranges out to the farthest berm at our range, 430 yards.

On all of my other scopes, I have marked the top of the turret caps with thin white paint lines for range tested impacts at 200, 300, and 430 yards.

The scopes that I like the best are the ones with the side focus. This feature makes it very quick and easy to focus the target at any range.

The Freedom scope has good glass and the CDS turret allows me to accurately dial any range, however, with my other scopes having a maximum power of 14, when I shoot the Freedom with its maximum power of 9, the target looks small, even though I have shot 3-9x scopes on most of my rifles since the late '60s. The other feature that I like better on the VX 3i scopes is the Windage Reticle, which is 1 minute (?) hash marks on the horizontal reticle. This makes very easy to repeatedly hold for wind. My Freedom scope just has the Duplex Reticle which is somewhat of a guess for holding for wind.

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 on my Weatherby Vanguard .223, a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 on my Vanguard .308, and a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 with side focus on both my Rem 700 7mm Rem mag and my Vanguard .300 Wby. All have the CDS turret. So far the only custom turret that I've had Leupold make is one for my .300 Wby for my 180 grain Barnes TTSX handloads. That turret is dead on at all ranges out to the farthest berm at our range, 430 yards.

On all of my other scopes, I have marked the top of the turret caps with thin white paint lines for range tested impacts at 200, 300, and 430 yards.

The scopes that I like the best are the ones with the side focus. This feature makes it very quick and easy to focus the target at any range.

The Freedom scope has good glass and the CDS turret allows me to accurately dial any range, however, with my other scopes having a maximum power of 14, when I shoot the Freedom with its maximum power of 9, the target looks small, even though I have shot 3-9x scopes on most of my rifles since the late '60s. The other feature that I like better on the VX 3i scopes is the Windage Reticle, which is 1 minute (?) hash marks on the horizontal reticle. This makes very easy to repeatedly hold for wind. My Freedom scope just has the Duplex Reticle which is somewhat of a guess for holding for wind.

Does the side focus do a decent job of eliminating parallax?

I'm a firm believer that unless $$$ is a factor that it's better to have more than you need than to need more than you have. Still possible to do next step up without going overboard.

Thank you guys for the thoughtful answers. Freedom can certainly do the job quite well from what I have read above. Consider getting a bit more magnification and do not be afraid to spend a bit more if you can and the deal is right. All sound advise.

Thank you guys for the thoughtful answers. Freedom can certainly do the job quite well from what I have read above. Consider getting a bit more magnification and do not be afraid to spend a bit more if you can and the deal is right. All sound advise.

I'd go with a 4.5-14 like the Leupold 170699 duplex reticle. Or the 170702 which is the windplex reticle version. Just ordered a 170702 from Schmalts for myself.

Last edited:
I’ve not had a Freedom but I have several Vari-X 2’s and 3’s, and a new VX3i, and the VX3i glass is noticeably brighter at least to my eyes. I vote for the VX3i for your 308.

I have scoured through lots of threads on scopes and I still cannot make a decision. I have keyed in on the manufacturer; Leupold. But will the Freedom be all I need or is the VX 3i, just that much more functional? For now, it will be limited to a 100 yard range, but I may join yet another rod and gun club (that will make three) that will afford me shots out to 300 yards. The ultimate goal is to use it to hunt out west (currently reside in Massachusetts), probably never shooting anything further than 250 to 275 yards.

I am not finding many user reviews for the Freedom. And for the life of me I cannot determine the major differences between it and the vx 3i. I understand that the vx 3i has slightly better glass and CDS, but does it matter for my uses and is it worth the extra cost if the the Freedom provides the same durability? I figure that I will set zero at 200 yards, eventually, and leave it be.

Rifles are a new world to me. I hunt mostly with a bow, and sometimes with an inline. I reload a lot of pistol. One of the reasons I decided that a 308 will join the family because it is a classic and the load development looks like it will be a lot of fun. Oh, and love shooting the inline out to 100 yards. Figure a bolt action will just kick it up a notch, or ten. :)

Thanks. Pete

I would skip the Freedom and .

If you're not going to shoot long range, I'd save the money and skip the CDS too. Zero your rifle to 2" high at 100 yds and you'll be able to hit your target at 300 with practice. I can't think of a better scope than a VX3 2.5-8 for what you're describing.

I would skip the Freedom and .

If you're not going to shoot long range, I'd save the money and skip the CDS too. Zero your rifle to 2" high at 100 yds and you'll be able to hit your target at 300 with practice. I can't think of a better scope than a VX3 2.5-8 for what you're describing.

Even if you don't use the CDS there is a market for the right/s to it. Usually you can get about $25 for it.

Does the side focus do a decent job of eliminating parallax?
The cross hair parallax is still adjusted with the eyepiece, and the side focus brings the target into focus. The side focus is very quick and easy, and I wish all of my scopes had that feature.

You will be happy w your purchase peter. I have a A-Bolt II 270WSM that I topped w a VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS for our mule deer trip to MT last year. I was so impressed w the scope that I bought another for my X-bolt 7mm-08 this year.
I recognize your handle from bowsite...I'm from Mass too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back