Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Leupold firedot scopes, what is your opinion

Don Taylor

Im looking for new scopes and have always bought leupold i own around 15 of them, dont really care for most of the newer scopes with the bigass rubber eyepiece on the end for focus adjusting and I like made in usa. Been looking at the new 4-12x40 firedot scopes anyone have one and what has been your experience with them.

Assuming you mean the VXR w/firedot.....Have it and a VX5 & VX6....Like em all. The VXR is on my go to rifle.

Love my VXR. It's on a hog rifle right now but going to get moved over to something I shoot more often.

What’s the main difference between the VXR and VX3i or VX5? Is the glass quality different? Price point looks to be in the same ballpark

I can't speak to the VX5 but my VX6 glass is better than my VXR. Both are good tho.

I like the Firedot best of all the gimmicky reticles on the market. I have three. A VX-R, Ultimate Slam, and VX6. All work great for hunting in my opinion.

I can't speak to the VX5 but my VX6 glass is better than my VXR. Both are good tho.

I like the Firedot best of all the gimmicky reticles on the market. I have three. A VX-R, Ultimate Slam, and VX6. All work great for hunting in my opinion.

I think the VX5 and VX6 have very similar glass but more features (windage dialing, integrated level, etc.). Both are better than my 3xi. I assume (but don't have one) 3xi better than VX-R. I like the red-dot plex on my VX5 and VX6

I bought a firedot for my son because it's what I thought I always wanted. He doesn't seem terribly impressed and said he doesn't worry about the battery dying because he would probably just use the crosshairs...so I probably spent some good money for no good reason.

The Firedot works well in fading light. It's better IMO than the crosshairs in low light situations. It's also got a cool feature that turns it on when the scope senses motion. I prefer it on the VX-R on a "modern sporting rifle" aimed at home defense but it works fine for hunting applications too.

The firedot is great. Just be aware if you suffer from an uncorrected astigmatism you may not like the firedot as it will not be a sharp dot to your eyes.

The firedot is great. Just be aware if you suffer from an uncorrected astigmatism you may not like the firedot as it will not be a sharp dot to your eyes.
I like mine ok. I have it on a xbolt 3006 and used it for jump shooting hogs on my Florida lease. Im talking ranges of 10 to 40 yards. Schmalts is correct. It was ok for short quick shots. With my astigmatism the dot is not clearly defined.

Have had a Leupold VXR 1.25-4 fitted to my 375H&H for several years. I like the versatility of being able to use a dot on fast moving hogs or dogs. The rifle is primarily used as a back while bowhunting dangerous game, so a dot is easy to acquire if it were all to turn pear shaped. The nice fine cross hair still allows me to shoot accurately further out - head shot an water buffalo at about 90 yards.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back