Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold Back country Ring Base Combo Or Talley Ring Base Combo

xFREDx

not really concerned about the weight of either, both are 7075 T6 aluminum, going on another 700 footprint rifle. I have not used either of these two rings. Of the two listed, who has used them and what would you choose and why? Have either gave any problems of off alignment?

I’ve used Talleys in the past and always bed them to the action but now use Hawkins Precision 1pc Hybrid rings. They are very well made and solid.

I’ve used Talleys in the past and always bed them to the action but now use Hawkins Precision 1pc Hybrid rings. They are very well made and solid.
have you found the need to bed the hawkins rings to the action?

have you found the need to bed the hawkins rings to the action?
I haven’t bedded any of them yet. Talley IMO uses some very soft screws and I’ve seen a few strip out. Talley makes a nice product though. Never had one crack personally but do know people have that issue.
Another reason I like the Hawkins is the built in 25MOA and level. Just person preference though.

what size scope did you use? i am using a 30mm tube and 42mm objective. would like to get it close as i can with the barrel. I am seeing that people have used the medium rings with 56mm objective and plenty of room so not sure if the lows will get me low enough. I am just going to do the coin trick and see how high i need.

On a Rem700 with a 30mm tube and 42mm objective I use lows most of the time and find my cheek weld and placement fine.

I just had a set of the Leupold Backcountry set come in to mount on a Kimber Montana that I'm going to be sending back. The back ring/mount hangs pretty far out past the receiver over the action and the screws were too long to the point they impeded the action from cycling. The only way to lift the bolt was to loosen them to the point the mounts were no longer secure. Have a set of Talley's coming in Thursday to set up on the rifle instead.

I got the Talleys on four rifles and never had an issue of any kind , mounting , zeroing or breaking. That said although I use them alot, Im not overly rough on equipment.
I got no experience with the Leupold Backcountry but I reckon I will someday give them a go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back