Leupold and RemArms stink.

Take that thing to your nearest Walmart the night before the rifle opener. Get in line with the other fools, I mean hunters, buying ammo, rifles, deer scent, etc and have the gunsmith behind the counter boar site it for ya. Guaranteed to be on the bull or buck, whichever you prefer. On your way out, check out the flat brim hat selection and get whichever one tickles your fancy.

Take that thing to your nearest Walmart the night before the rifle opener. Get in line with the other fools, I mean hunters, buying ammo, rifles, deer scent, etc and have the gunsmith behind the counter boar site it for ya. Guaranteed to be on the bull or buck, whichever you prefer. On your way out, check out the flat brim hat selection and get whichever one tickles your fancy.
Is that the laser thingy that looks like a bullet? Could they mount it for me first?

Is that the laser thingy that looks like a bullet? Could they mount it for me first?
That’s it! We’re all joking in this thread but if you go to a Walmart in KY the Friday night before rifle season opener, what I posted is exactly what you’ll see. Idiots, every state has them.

That’s it! We’re all joking in this thread but if you go to a Walmart in KY the Friday night before rifle season opener, what I posted is exactly what you’ll see. Idiots, every state has them.
Well…I have a third hand story about a college baseball player hunting some high fence. It was from a reasonably reliable source. Brand new rifle. “They sighted it in at the store”. He did manage to kill stuff with it.

I also worked a couple of charity dove hunts in college that were mostly supported by semi-celebrities.(NFL linemen you’ve never heard of, Tom Knapp, Fank Stalone, Chuck Yeager was there the year I wasn’t) and WOZERS. Some of them(not the ones I named) were clearly just there to support the charity and had never attempted to hunt anything. REALLY hard to keep a straight face sometimes. You knew immediately when a gun showed up in a box instead of a case. Tom Knapp is unbelievable in person, and Mike Lutz was an amazing wing shooter. He appeared to be using an NEF single shot 10ga. All of them were supporting a great cause.

Last edited:
In the future if you can’t find tape cross thread the screws on your mount , this will give extra bite! That’s a fine looking job you did on your rifle ,it should shoot lights out .

Years ago my hunting buddy ask me to pick up a couple boxes of 3006 ammo he had on hold in a gun shop near his PA home in a Potter county.I was shocked at the amount of guys in the store after dark the night before the Pennsylvania buck season opener ! A line was formed to mount scopes on rifles and have them bore sighted , guys buying ammo and not knowing brand or bullet weight and yes guys buying rifles ! The next morning as I heard shots in the distance clearly missing , the sound echoing through the air I wondered how many of these guys were in the store the night before?

Years ago my hunting buddy ask me to pick up a couple boxes of 3006 ammo he had on hold in a gun shop near his PA home in a Potter county.I was shocked at the amount of guys in the store after dark the night before the Pennsylvania buck season opener ! A line was formed to mount scopes on rifles and have them bore sighted , guys buying ammo and not knowing brand or bullet weight and yes guys buying rifles ! The next morning as I heard shots in the distance clearly missing , the sound echoing through the air I wondered how many of these guys were in the store the night before?
I have hunted Penna for 27 years and am amazed at the amount of shooting during deer season. I figure most are misses. I hunt with a Ruger #1. Rarely do I have to load a 2nd shot. You either get them, and you'll know it by the crash in the woods if you got him/her, or you missed. No point in having more than one bouwett.

Late to this thread but man paper towels? Destined to fail. You need the good stuff like as others pointed out duct tape and
d48581e1-194a-4cfd-9189-0a63d4754489.fa399c753446ada1a3053f9f89cac72d.jpeg

After further testing, its really shooting great(target below). I even shot three tens and an X(but missed the bullzeye). I think it would do even better if I had some legit bullets. We all know Berger sucks, and even if they don’t suck, they are modern, undoubtedly made by machines, which were made by millennials. This action, stock, and scope however, were not made by millennials(even if they were all worked on by one and his boomer father). My thinking is that perhaps it would shoot EVEN BETTER if I just got some ammo that was made for such a finely crafted Mauser. After further research, it appears that the military(cause they really know how to shoot) was using wooden bullets. Does anyone know where I can get some of these original wooden bullets for a 6.5x55? If I can find some, I bet they’re super accurate(although I’m not convinced that bullets even contribute to accuracy), and I’m sure I can kill anything with them. It’s all about making the perfect shot.

By the way, I’d really prefer that it came in those fancy red cardboard boxes, not some new dangled, plastic coated, made in China crap like these millennials buy their ammo in. Ick!

Once I get the ammo worked out, I just need some boomer to engrave it really nicely for me. The Nazi that did it must have been in a hurry.

Don’t forget to follow me for more accuracy tips, and random bigoted rants!

Attachments

• EA61D042-3A1E-4BB1-9D26-0F89AA3343CE.jpeg
    EA61D042-3A1E-4BB1-9D26-0F89AA3343CE.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AE1A70E3-970F-4484-9987-784121C97FB8.jpeg
    AE1A70E3-970F-4484-9987-784121C97FB8.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0436381B-3C32-41F6-A6AF-0872F76DEC62.jpeg
    0436381B-3C32-41F6-A6AF-0872F76DEC62.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yeah, I've got an old vxII that is missing turret caps. When I hunt with it, I have to swap caps off a different rifle.
Why not just use some gorilla tape? Heck, if you’re committed to the load, put some Loctite 360 degrees around the adjustment knob. That’s better than a turret cap, and saves the hassle of swapping between rifles. Heck, maybe you could do it to both knobs and sell your turret cap to some other schlub that lost his and thinks he needs a replacement.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back