Leupold Alumina Flip up Scope Caps - HELP

Jbohna13

I bought some Leupold Alumina scope caps and the dude put them on for me. The front one is crooked and i LITERALLY can NOT get it undone! I'm very frustrated :MAD and wondering if any of you fine folks could help! Thanks.

Do not do either of the above. Both are completely incorrect.

The alumina cover is a two piece design (I am referring to the round/ring part) and both of those parts move/rotate independent to each other. Use your finger/finger nail to hold the threads (facing outward) and use your other hand to secure the outer ring and move/rotate both pieces in opposite directions to loosen. Do the same (but opposite direction) to tighten and align. I realize these directions sound a bit confusing but once you understand how the alumina cover works, it is a piece of cake.

I have had to show more than one person behind the gun counter how to install the covers. Some even thought the scope needed to be removed to install the alumina covers. It is not uncommon for the alumina cover to become 'crooked' occasionally and need to be straightened (10 sec procedure).

I have been using these covers for many years and have them on ea and every Leupold I own. These are not cheap but IMHO worth the cash.

I also use these a lot and have found that a little rubber jar opener - the thin kind that fits in your palm to open a stuck pickle jar - can help get them tighter than finger tight but not too tight. The directions stated above by fair chase are spot on as well.

Be careful. I had the front scope cover get stuck on one of my scopes. I tried to take it off by twisting it. It was stuck so tight that it caused the front lens portion of the scope to come unscrewed, and all the gas leaked out. Of course, I didn't notice it until I was into a herd of elk on a rainy, humid day, and my scope was fogged on inside.

Be careful. I had the front scope cover get stuck on one of my scopes. I tried to take it off by twisting it. It was stuck so tight that it caused the front lens portion of the scope to come unscrewed, and all the gas leaked out. Of course, I didn't notice it until I was into a herd of elk on a rainy, humid day, and my scope was fogged on inside.

Why were you trying to take the cover off? I can't imagine it being stuck that tight to do that if you know how they're made. I've got them on all of my Leupolds and have never had a reason to take them off. They really are easy to put on and should be just as easy to take off, as was stated above. However, when I bought them there were no directions how to install them properly and I read all kinds of people saying they had to take their scope off the rifle to install the covers when you don't as long as you have the flip open cover down doing it. They are expensive, but they are great and add to the looks of the scopes IMHO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back