Let’s talk chainsaws!

Another vote for the Husky 455 here.

Only knock on it that I've had after 2 years of ownership, the bar oil leaks out when not in use. Pretty wide spread problem according to the internets. Not a huge issue, just learn to not fill the tank to take a couple limbs out.

Is it possible to swap that chain out for normal 3/8? Do you thing the saw would handle it?
I believe it is possible but I've never done it. For small jobs the little 14" chain has worked well. I actually cleared a spot in AK about 150' x150' of pretty dense trees (all pine), with some of them 10-12" across the stump and I never felt undergunned so to speak.

We had some scrap to take back and we cleared 175 bucks! So deducted that from the cost on the bank card and the 261 came in under budget. By the time the old one sells at auction this one will probably be a final out of pocket around $250. I can live with that.

I think you will be really happy with how that saw performs for its size. Enjoy!
It definitely sounds healthy, it’s finally raining here so I won’t get to test it till next week when the sun comes back.

I am basically going to drop 2lbs but still have slightly less performance but not enough that I think I will notice it. God willing I’m not going to be cutting big old knotty oak anymore. I will probably never miss that extra 10cc.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

For a total chainsaw noob who wants a reliable workhorse saw to buck up some firewood or clear a fallen tree instead of using a WY saw (not fun) what would you recommend? I am no lumberjack, but do enjoy sharp objects moving quickly that cut things.

For a total chainsaw noob who wants a reliable workhorse saw to buck up some firewood or clear a fallen tree instead of using a WY saw (not fun) what would you recommend? I am no lumberjack, but do enjoy sharp objects moving quickly that cut things.
I did a lot of looking at the different models. If I hadn’t already had ran that 360 for the last 20 years and been spoiled I wouldn’t of bought the one I did. It is completely overkill for what I will use it for. I looked at all the models available today at the store and the MS180 is a nice saw at a good price point. It has the tensioner in the right spot so you don’t fight it. I wouldn’t hesitate buying that for a household saw. Your not going to do firewood with it but basic household stuff it will shine.
If fire wood is your thing I would realistically look at the 300-500 dollar range and get a good farm series saw.

I also looked at the echo and really liked them. You can’t beat the warranty. If your military or Leo Home depo does 10% off. You can get a equivalent Echo there for a few bucks less. Besides that I would avoid big box stores at all cost. Poulan wears many different covers but it’s still the same crappy saw underneath. Most of the ones you will find there be made at that low quality level.

I have a 170 & it can cut NM oak & walnut. Great limbing & pine saw. I do not like narrow chains for heavy cutting. I use my old Huskie 55 for real cutting.
Gave a good Echo to a woodcutter buddy for back up. It was a decent saw.

As a former Park Ranger we would get every brand, bought by admin................we would use Stihl & Huskies mostly,lots of Echo small saws.
Always glad when the Poulans hit the dumpster...usually inside of a month.
Same for me. 170 for the lighter work, Huskie 55 for the big stuff.

How does the 261 compare to the 361 in weight and handling? It’s one thing to see the # but that doesn’t always equate to how it feels in the woods.

Like I said I love that 360 but it’s just too big. I don’t want to spend 6 bills to find out that the 261 handles mostly the same, should of just kept the 360 then.

I know this is a little late, but I really thought the weight difference between the two was noticeable. I think we ran 16” bar on the 261 and an 18” or 20” on the 361/362’s. I really liked using the lighter 261 on the smaller stuff. Liked the extra snort on the 361/362’s for most everything else. I also felt like the bigger saws were smoother to run all day. YMMV

I use Milwaukee 18v for work, so my next saw will be the Milwaukee chainsaw. I used one to work on some timbers for an entry way. It worked nice.

I've had Stihls for 40 years. I bought an MS291 with a 20" bar three years ago. I've had a few problems; chain brake seized, narrow kerf bar/chain jumps off cutting brush and limbs. I'm in SE AK and regularly drop trees 30" dbh, and have used it hard. I don't think the build quality is what it used to be. If I were to do it over I'd try a Husky. FWIW, the only two saws the loggers use around here are Stihl and Husky.

Back