Let’s talk about firewood

Sprawling two story. How do you get the heat circulated throughout?
Ignore the big garage but it’s insulated and doesn’t freeze. Basement isn’t heated either but stays above 65 all winter. Good place for exercising. The house is a box with kids bedroom upstairs, great room, den, kitchen on the first floor with master and breezeway on the sides. Fireplace in the middle of the great room downstairs. House heats naturally. Cold spots would be the den and theoretically my master closet.

We could hook the fireplace into the heat ducts to spread the heat evenly but haven’t noticed a need to do it.
 
View attachment 418221 Finished stacking wood on Monday. Wife had first burn of the year this morning. We have just over two years worth in the stack. I’ll figure out the next strategy in 2028. I’m keeping track of how many front porch rows we burn this year. It’ll provide better accuracy after two years in the cordage we burn.
Looks like around 10 cords?
 
Just got mine all stacked for the winter today.

Just shy of 2 cords of Juniper.

This will get us this winter and should have half a cord or so left.
View attachment 418226
I love the smell of burning juniper in my stove! I go out of my way to cut a load of mixed pinyon/juniper every year. Better BTU value than the aspen/spruce mix I usually cut in CO. When I lived in eastern NV I would even cut some curl leaf Mountain Mahogany for my grill. When I was in college, that's all we would grill on. Hell on saw chains though!
 
I love the smell of burning juniper in my stove! I go out of my way to cut a load of mixed pinyon/juniper every year. Better BTU value than the aspen/spruce mix I usually cut in CO. When I lived in eastern NV I would even cut some curl leaf Mountain Mahogany for my grill. When I was in college, that's all we would grill on. Hell on saw chains though!
Yes mahogany hard on chains for sure. Never have cut it for the house. Not a lot around here, and its a challenge to get to where its at.

Juniper not too bad on the chains, but just takes a lot of cutting to get a load.

Pinion has too much pitch overall for our little stove (1175 sq ft house), so we go through the paces of cutting juniper only. It burns a little cooler, but less pitch and pipe buildup, and a more even heat for the stove to absorb.

We'll burn the stumps and odd pieces and random pinion in the fire pit in the yard in the fall. It does smell good.
 
Back
Top