Leica, Steiner, & Leupold Binos

Ahh another optics thread.

For starters simply stating a brand does not do much as among brands there are different models with different price points.

Most optics are made in a few large factories in Asia (Japan and China), none are made in the USA that I am aware of, and the name on the box is not the actual manufacturer.

Best bet is to find models you are after and look them up on birding forums to get an honest review.

Hunters know little to nothing about optics, are easily influenced by celebrities, and simply recommend what they have without really knowing the details of the type of prism, factory where they were made, etc...

Brands like Vortex are popular among hunters but other groups who are more educated will not typically say good things about Vortex.

Steiner is an interesting company, and good to work with as I have sent in binoculars to their service center with success. But they make a wide variety of optics at different price points so you would need to narrow down the choices.

Leopold does not make it's optics, all it does is put a sticker on optics someone else made. Sad but true. Most hunters have no idea and believe they are made in the USA, lol.

Try reading this thread and you will see the difference in optics knowledge between the hunters and birders. It's not even close on who knows more.

I have had the Zeiss Conquest 10X42 since 2017 and have been very satisfied with them. I believe they are still available in the $1000 range.
I have these as well and have had for maybe 10 years. In some aspects I prefer them to my spotter.

Steiner and Meopta = solid value for the money. I’d also consider saving a bit more and find used SLCs.

I’d listen to episode 1 of Precision Insights podcast with Omer Hrbinic for some no BS info. Skinny version…many optics companies don’t make their own optics, they are largely marketing companies.

Used the 7X50 with reticle in the army. Fell in love with them then. But agreed they were very bulky.

Bought these instead for personal use.
F572FA0F-5F01-4804-844B-72E4ED801A74.jpeg

Can’t find the East German border patrol binos I’d really like to have.

I've been in the same boat trying to read about these on the internet. I'm wanting 8x-32 or 8x-42 class that isn't a tank in that same $800 class
Really seems like you can't go wrong. A lot of good mentions.
I'm going to look for a used deal for any of these mid-tier options.
>conquest HD - 8x32 seems to be the standout
>Kowa Genesis 8x33
>Meopta MeoPro (or the old Cabelas Euro models)
>Maven B1.2
>good deal on a Swaro

Seems like Nikon's warranty has gone down hill. Vortex and Leupold options generally seem solid but not best-in-class. not sure about leica or steiner. maybe a few I'm missing

I have a pair of Maven B2s and they are unbelievable. Absolutely solid binos with awesome glass. I think they retail for around $1100 but they do run some sales a couple times a year. I can’t say enough good things about them.

Recently hunting I did get a chance to look through a pair of Ziess Conquest binos very briefly. They were also pretty good.

I went with these. They ride in the pickup with me. Smaller cousin to the 7X50R we used in the army with a reticle and ruby coating on them.

865F0767-5EB4-42B2-BD7D-0E57647085D3.jpegF52F4297-29E0-4917-AB7D-11326E2A9A4A.jpeg

I’ve been using the Steiner Predator 8x42 for several years now. No complaints and it looks like they are now selling on Amazon for 250 bucks. I’m almost certain I paid more 10 or so years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back