Left handed rifle suggestions

I'll bet that you would not notice a difference in recoil, between the win mag and the weatherby. If you are recoil shy, then neither is a good option. Get something less and learn to shoot it with competent bullets and your quest is over-especially only shooting to 300 yards. At that range, it is hard to beat a .308, Creed, -06, .270 etc., etc. There is nothing special about a big magnum, if you are just going to shoot moderate distances anyway. Just because it has the word "magnum", it does not kill anything any deader-except for your shoulder and your wallet.

I love my .308 Tikka T3x. Some people don’t like the safety on it but I don’t mind it. It’s been a great gun for me so far. Brownings have a great reputation as well.

I'll bet that you would not notice a difference in recoil, between the win mag and the weatherby. If you are recoil shy, then neither is a good option. Get something less and learn to shoot it with competent bullets and your quest is over-especially only shooting to 300 yards. At that range, it is hard to beat a .308, Creed, -06, .270 etc., etc. There is nothing special about a big magnum, if you are just going to shoot moderate distances anyway. Just because it has the word "magnum", it does not kill anything any deader-except for your shoulder and your wallet.
I think you hit the nail on the head. .243 through the boiler room will kill a critter a helluva lot faster then a .338WM through the guts.

Just gonna throw my .02 cents in... If you're looking for a rifle that fits you and will worth for anything in North America, look at a .338 win mag. There's nothing on the planet it wont kill, and it's not too big for any big game. I have shot plenty of deer and coyotes with mine. It's a custom gun from Gentry. They have a quiet muzzle brake that doesn't throw all the sound back at you. It makes my .338 shoot like a .270. To top it off it doesn't hurt your ears to shoot in the field without hearing protection. The .338 I have is from Dave Gentry and it was built back in 1987 for my grandpa. The gun has killed everything under the sun. Name it and odds are it's been killed or at least hunted by this rifle. My grandpa went back to Dave a few years after having the .338 built and wanted to have a .270 built but Dave told him no. He told him he wasn't going to build him another rifle because the one he had could do everything. Needless to say it did. They're not much more expensive than some of these factory rifles but they are built to fit you. It might cost a bit more than a factory rifle but it's worth it in the long run. PM me if you'd like more of the specs of the rifle, and if you'd really like I can send pictures of everything the rifle and my grandpa have taken. I keep looking for an excuse to buy another rifle but I just can't bring myself to do it since I have a gun that can literally do anything. These rifles shoot as good as one of those gunwerks rifles with a quarter of their price tag.

My one rifle for all western hunting is a 90's vintage Ruger M77 mkii in 30/06. A 300 is a fine choice and any of the platforms you've chosen are solid. It comes down to fit & aesthetics. If I were buying a plastic stocked gun, I'd be looking at the Browning Hells Canyon, or a Montana Rifle Company action and a custom maker to put it together.

As for recoil, you'll only notice it on the bench. Buy a PAST recoil shield & go shoot.

My one rifle for all western hunting is a 90's vintage Ruger M77 mkii in 30/06. A 300 is a fine choice and any of the platforms you've chosen are solid. It comes down to fit & aesthetics. If I were buying a plastic stocked gun, I'd be looking at the Browning Hells Canyon, or a Montana Rifle Company action and a custom maker to put it together.

As for recoil, you'll only notice it on the bench. Buy a PAST recoil shield & go shoot.
There's plenty of ways to reduce recoil and plenty of ways to get used to it. Just shooting to get comfortable with it is the best thing you can do. The 30-06 is one of the most underrated calibers in my opinion. It's another very versatile rifle! Having a custom gun builder put together a rifle ensures the best fit for you and no matter how big of a caliber it is if it fits right, the recoil is manageable.

I'd stick with a simple 30-06 of whatever variety you like. I like my 700 rigs but lots of lefty 30-06 out there. Grab a Seekins base and rings, and a high quality scope and you should be good to go. I played with a bunch of magnum rifles over the years and now just use stuff up to and including 30-06. Stuff is dying just fine.

How many lefty shooters are shooting a right handed bolt gun? I was in scheels today and fondled a Christensen arms .309 win mag in right handed and wow it was nice

How many lefty shooters are shooting a right handed bolt gun? I was in scheels today and fondled a Christensen arms .309 win mag in right handed and wow it was nice
I’m shooting a right action on a lefty stock.

All of my bolt guns except the Ruger are right handed. Never stopped me from killing anything. The biggest benefit I've found to having a left handed bolt rifle is having the safety on the correct side fo hiking, still hunting, etc. My guns don't snick off safe now. I can't use the fancy scope covers because of the left handed bolt lift, but the safety issue and having a faster recovery for clambering a fresh round more than make up for it.

I have some of each and have no issue with either one. I prefer the left-hand rifles, but I recently just added a couple rifles that are right-hand. I traded for a .270 and I bought a Remington 700, .243 that was too good of a deal to pass up. It is now wearing a 6.5 Creed barrel.

I have a Tikka T3x Lite 7mm rem mag, a Browning A Bolt medallion in 30-06 and Remington 700 in 300 RUM. The Tikka is the best shooter, Browning has the most memories, and Im not a fan of the Remington. Holding out for a Winchester model 70 in 338 or appropriate action size to rebarrel.

I have a number of left handed bolt actions. Three are Winchester Model 70s but you are likely going to have to limit yourself to used ones as they stopped making them (although I did see a new 7mm-WSM somewhere online the other day). I also have a few Savages and my 7mm-08 Weather Warrior is one of the most accurate rifles and probably the least expensive. I just purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmore a few months ago and it served me well with the elk I got last week in CO. If you don't want to spend $2,000 for a Ridgeline, I'd look at the Mesa. I think you will be limited to 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08 and 308 with Christensen Arms, but IMO, they will all do the trick.

Not doubting you Just curious, when then Winchester ever make a left handed bolt action rifle. As far as i know they still refuse to make a left handed bolt action

Not doubting you Just curious, when then Winchester ever make a left handed bolt action rifle. As far as i know they still refuse to make a left handed bolt action

I think they stopped making the left handed Model 70s when they closed the New Haven, CT facility (which I think was around 2006 or 2007). Prior to that I believe they made them for many years. I have a 300 WM, 375 H&H and a 7mm WSM (unfired and soon to be listed on Gun Broker).

Have you considered a Browning X-Bolt? They do have a few left-handed offerings. Weatherby also makes a few left-handed versions in their Mark V & Vanguard lines. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think they stopped making the left handed Model 70s when they closed the New Haven, CT facility (which I think was around 2006 or 2007). Prior to that I believe they made them for many years. I have a 300 WM, 375 H&H and a 7mm WSM (unfired and soon to be listed

Back