Left Handed Guns and Montana Rifle Company

High Desert

1. Does anyone have any experience with rifles from Montana Rifle Company?
2. I am considering a purchase of a left handed 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for hunting mule deer, pronghorn and cow elk. Can anyone recommend one other than Remington? (Assume that "making do" with a right handed model or opting for other calibers are not options.)
Thanks

1. Yes, and it's not been very good.
2. Buy a Tikka left handed rifle.

My Montana X2 in 30-06 is really a disaster. It shot very poorly (2 to 3 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards from a bench) from the beginning. I found that the action action screws were too long and the bedding was cracked in several places. I called the company and talked with the president of their company. His attitude was basically indifferent and when I told him about the obvious problems with the rifle there was no offer to make it right. I finally asked if I couldn't make the rifle shoot would he make repairs to get it to shoot without charge and I was basically ignored and told good luck. Since then the best group I've come up with is just over an inch with three round groups at 100 yards using 178gr Hornady ELD-X factory loads. If you're interested I'll sell you my rifle (it is left handed) at cost and I'll pay shipping.

I have two lefty MRC rifles. A alr 300wm and a x2 270wsm. The x2 I ordered in oct of 15 and took 7 months to get. Got the ALR off GB. Both rifles shoot lights out. The ALR is the prettiest gun around. The alr has an issue with bouncing the brass off the scope side focus. The giant extractors like to chew up the brass rim if drop in loaded (prolly normal for a cf rifle). I really like the guns.

Company: I ordered another x2 in 6.5cm on Oct 31 2016 and was told 4-6 months. Called in late June to see if it was getting close. Was told they had a hold up with lefty action parts got em now 3 weeks. Called in Aug same story. Called on MRC directly on the way back from lope hunting ( the excuse for a new gun in the first place) same line. Had the dealer call in Nov was told they couldn'd give me a timeline. Cancled the order.

I do like the rifles and being a lefty I know Im not a priority for any gun maker but if they would have just been honest I would have waited.

MRC sucks. Get a tikka or a xbolt. Or just have one built. Prolly the only way a lefty gets what he wants anyway.......

#1 - Can't help ya.
#2 - I bought a LH A-bolt w/ a boss when I was 16 (technically Dad handed over the money I'd earned for it). 22 years later it shoots 1-hole groups at 100 yards w/ factory ammo. Stock trigger/stock, cheap glass. No experience w/ the xbolts but I'm sure you'd find plenty of info with a little digging.

1. Does anyone have any experience with rifles from Montana Rifle Company?
2. I am considering a purchase of a left handed 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for hunting mule deer, pronghorn and cow elk. Can anyone recommend one other than Remington? (Assume that "making do" with a right handed model or opting for other calibers are not options.)
Thanks
#2. Tikka, Savage, Ruger, Browning make LH rifles in the chamberings your interested in. Semi-custom/custom shops also have offerings and run the gamut of prices. If this is to be a "lifetime" gun the latter options make some sense. My son's will hunt with some budget models for a few years, but I'm seriously planning on building them a custom rifle for a high school graduation present.

I have two lefty MRC rifles. A alr 300wm and a x2 270wsm. The x2 I ordered in oct of 15 and took 7 months to get. Got the ALR off GB. Both rifles shoot lights out. The ALR is the prettiest gun around. The alr has an issue with bouncing the brass off the scope side focus. The giant extractors like to chew up the brass rim if drop in loaded (prolly normal for a cf rifle). I really like the guns.

Company: I ordered another x2 in 6.5cm on Oct 31 2016 and was told 4-6 months. Called in late June to see if it was getting close. Was told they had a hold up with lefty action parts got em now 3 weeks. Called in Aug same story. Called on MRC directly on the way back from lope hunting ( the excuse for a new gun in the first place) same line. Had the dealer call in Nov was told they couldn'd give me a timeline. Cancled the order.

I do like the rifles and being a lefty I know Im not a priority for any gun maker but if they would have just been honest I would have waited.

MRC sucks. Get a tikka or a xbolt. Or just have one built. Prolly the only way a lefty gets what he wants anyway.......

I got the same excuse and it took them about 8 months to get it to me, I was also told that they had problems getting the left handed receivers done. Their customer support sucks and their quality control is hit and miss.

If you want a custom go Dead Down Range. DDR. Call Tyler he will hook ya up. If you want it for this fall better get moving.

If you want functional my vote is for Savage. Tons of LH offerings, and never heard of one that didn't shoot. Never heard a bad thing about Tikka either.

I am a real fan of Savage. I originally purchased Savage because that was the only rifle easily found with a left hand action. I have come to appreciate their out of the box accuracy and that you do not need a gunsmith to re-barrel/re-chamber a rifle.

Not very many good options out there for left handed of course. I bought a tikka t3 lite last year that I love in lefty. I was also looking hard for a savage weather warrior but had a hard time finding what I was looking for. I really like the new Savage storm and it comes in 7-08. The tikka can be had in 260 remington.

Back