PEAX Equipment

Left-hand rifle options

I'm a lefty and have 7 Remington 700s. If all you want is a gun then the budget Savage 110 Axis in LH would be a good choice. A store down the road has 3 of them. A .30-06, a .270 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Right now you'd pay more for a supply of 6.5 Creed ammo than you would for the rifle. Looks like the .30-06 version would kick you into next year tho.

Too bad I don't need any more rifles or guns.

I'm a lefty and have 7 Remington 700s. If all you want is a gun then the budget Savage 110 Axis in LH would be a good choice. A store down the road has 3 of them. A .30-06, a .270 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Right now you'd pay more for a supply of 6.5 Creed ammo than you would for the rifle. Looks like the .30-06 version would kick you into next year tho.

Too bad I don't need any more rifles or guns.
I am looking at the Savage 110 line for an upcoming DIY back country hunt, specifically the 110 Timberline. Its hard to find a factory lefty with a muzzlebrake option. According to the Savage site, the rifles in the 110 line are all 7.5# and up with the 110 Timberline, chambered for 30-06, clocking in around the 8.5# mark. Adding a scope would increase the weight and help offset recoil even more (not to mention the Timberline's muzzlebreak) so I wouldn't think the 110's wouldn't hit your shoulder harder than many other rifles. The current Savage Axis line seems to be lighter by a pound or more so I could definitely see those delivering more "felt recoil".

I am looking at the Savage 110 line for an upcoming DIY back country hunt, specifically the 110 Timberline. Its hard to find a factory lefty with a muzzlebrake option.
You may want to add the Tikka View Wideland or Alpine to your shopping list - a nicer rifle with similar features in the same pricing window. Not saying to not get Savage, just thought adding options increases the chance of finding one.

You may want to add the Tikka View Wideland or Alpine to your shopping list - a nicer rifle with similar features in the same pricing window. Not saying to not get Savage, just thought adding options increases the chance of finding one.
@VikingsGuy Thanks for the tip, unfortunately those models aren't offered in LH according to the Tikka site. If there are older/previous models out there configured in LH then I haven't seen any. I own a Tikka T3x stainless (LH, 300 Win Mag) and love it but it, like most factory LH factory offerings, are lacking in the options department (stock configurations, coating, threaded muzzle, fluting, etc.).

I lost sight in my right eye almost 20 years ago due to a car accident and can't shoot/sight a rifle on my right side. I had to relearned how to shoulder/shoot/sight using my left side. I can use a RH bolt rifle on my left side but working the bolt requires me to unshoulder the rifle and perform some hand-dancing in order to rack another round in the chamber. Needless to say, for me, a RH bolt-gun is simply a single shot that holds extra rounds close by. No problem if that first shot drops em but I'm SOL if a rapid follow up shot is needed.

I've priced a couple custom rifle shops/companies on a LH build with the features I want...but I don't want one bad enough to pay that bill just yet.

@VikingsGuy Thanks for the tip, unfortunately those models aren't offered in LH according to the Tikka site. If there are older/previous models out there configured in LH then I haven't seen any. I own a Tikka T3x stainless (LH, 300 Win Mag) and love it but it, like most factory LH factory offerings, are lacking in the options department (stock configurations, coating, threaded muzzle, fluting, etc.).

I lost sight in my right eye almost 20 years ago due to a car accident and can't shoot/sight a rifle on my right side. I had to relearned how to shoulder/shoot/sight using my left side. I can use a RH bolt rifle on my left side but working the bolt requires me to unshoulder the rifle and perform some hand-dancing in order to rack another round in the chamber. Needless to say, for me, a RH bolt-gun is simply a single shot that holds extra rounds close by. No problem if that first shot drops em but I'm SOL if a rapid follow up shot is needed.

I've priced a couple custom rifle shops/companies on a LH build with the features I want...but I don't want one bad enough to pay that bill just yet.
Depending on your price point, I have a few opinions for ya. I'm a lefty by means of blindness in my right eye as well. I was born with it, though.

Back