Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lee Case Trimmers

Washington Hunter

I just got a Lee case trimmer and used it for the first time the other day on some 270 Win. cases. Maximum length is 2.540 inches, and standard procedure is to trim .01 under max, right? So that would be 2.530. Well the Lee trimmer only trims my cases down to 2.538. It does a great job and is really simple and easy to use (especially with my Makita cordless drill) but it would be nice if it would trim them down a little bit more, so I could get all my cases the same length. Many of the cases are shorter than 2.538 so they don't get trimmed at all. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these. I am considering filing it down a little so it will trim to 2.530.

I've used the Lee trimmer exclusivley since the early 80's. Don't bother messing with it. The .oo8 (that is 8 1/thousands of an inch) will not make any difference in your ammo function, unless your planning on going to Camp Perry! After 2-3 firing's all your brass will be trimmed back to the same length anyway.

I've used the Lee Trimmers and like them, but have switched most of my case trimming to the RCBS trimmer.
Usually the Lee are close to trim length. Do you have it turned all the way in?

Yes it's all the way in. I will just use it as is for now. Funny thing is I've been reloading for 15 years and have never trimmed a case until now. But then I never reloaded a case more than 2 or 3 times. The other funny thing is I've had an RCBS trimmer all these years and didn't want to use it as it seemed like it was too time consuming and just not worth the extra effort. Now with this Lee trimmer it's a piece of cake. Anybody want to buy an unused RCBS trimmer?

I have lee trimmers for all of my cartridges. I finally got the zip trim and boy what a difference. One thing that I noticed about the lee trimmers is that sometimes you need to make sure that the trimmer is screwed down all of the way on the cutter. It don't take much to make sure but it's enough to make that little difference you're talking about.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back