Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

learning how to hunt elk

diamond hitch

I'm always intrigued by the advise the newby's get to learn to hunt elk. First place - contact the local biologist for the areas of interest. There is no guarantee that they will know the answer but it is a place to start. Elk have distinct ranges at differant times of the year. where they were all summer may have nothing to do with where they are going to be. If possible try to find out the migration paths. Often their elevation is dictated by the weather. Cold lower- hot higher and north sides. If it is dry and hot- they will feed at night in the wet bottoms. Especially if the grass is green and tender.

It becomes important to understand the lay of the land. I spend time during the summer learning the trails and weather patterns when I am working up a new area to hunt. Often it takes me a couple seasons to understand a block of land and the elk in it. Over time I have learned all the land over 20 miles in two or three areas. What the elk do in it changes every year.

I know this doesn't help the one time hunter from Virginia. Hopefully a local, the biologist, or an outfitter can provide a hint on where to start. The more time spent in the field the more consistant my success has become. I try to spend 30-40 days a year in the field either in recon or hunting.

A normal fall greeting in Montana is "Did you get your elk yet". Among the serious hunters the normal fall activity is elk hunting - every available day.

You hit the nail on the head. All the questions in the world asked on forums and all the how to videos can’t replace boots on the ground experience. It may take multiple trips before things finally start clicking and you get into elk. I sometimes wonder if the questions getting asked aren’t just an attempt to pass time leading up to a hunt due to excitement. I know before my first elk hunt I felt like I was researching everyday and couldn’t get enough. You always see a lot of the “I don’t want your honey holes” as someone’s first post and I’d like to think no one is truly foolish enough to expect gps coordinates to spots, or maybe I’m just being naive. I was lucky enough to have some good friends introduce me to elk hunting and without them I’m sure my learning curve would be way different. I have since then taken others on their first elk hunts to try and make it less intimidating for them too. Elk hunting is very difficult IMO, especially for the first timer going in blind and solo.

What the OP said is generally true but not set in stone. I can show you a lot of elk in different areas that live on the winter range year-round. The old saying of..."elk are where you find them".... is very true. Keep an open mind when elk hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back