Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Illegal Shed Hunters

Interesting deal here:

Thoughts?
If you are going to make these rules you dam well better enforce them. Otherwise you are just making it more profitable for the ones who break the law and really hurting everyone else.

they made the rules for the benefit and protection of big game during their most sensitive and stressful time of the year

good to see real ramifications for breaking those rules

now, if only we could start throwing our vail, colorado recreational elites in jail for a week or two for their continued noncompliance when it comes to trails being closed for the same reason around the vail valley

now, if only we could start throwing our vail, colorado recreational elites in jail for a week or two for their continued noncompliance when it comes to trails being closed for the same reason around the vail valley
It’s a bummer what’s happened to the elk numbers there. I used to hunt that country. Sad.

Do the crime, do the time....
With that said, I do think it’s absurd that I can go and bear bait an area and yet I can’t touch a shed if I see one because it’s not shed season yet.

Do the crime, do the time....
With that said, I do think it’s absurd that I can go and bear bait an area and yet I can’t touch a shed if I see one because it’s not shed season yet.

How many people are assigned to your bait, how far is the next closest bait?

Saw a pile of Utah plates at trail heads in CO this year. Guys claimed to be turkey hunting... yet I glassed them up in the field sans gun or bow walking through the PJ.

Kinda feel like Utah residents just need to be put in the penalty box for a couple of years and be banned from shed hunting in adjacent states. :cool:

I'm fine with it, but find it odd that you can land a helicopter in a wilderness to go flyfishing, or graze your cattle of public land without paying for it, or take over a wildlife refuge, or poach many animals, before you encounter a punishment like that.

I'd love to read up on all the studies that were conducted that prove that shed hunting is detrimental to animals. I've never seen one, nor ever seen reference to one. Shed hunting laws are just plain stupid, virtually unenforceable, and have no scientific justification.

Good to see things being enforced. I've chatted with Kyle Lash on a few occasions and he is a solid guy. Not sure jail is the right call. Maybe community service in the form of habitat restoration projects or something of the like. People should be educated on why this is an issue and is being enforced.

Good to see things being enforced. I've chatted with Kyle Lash on a few occasions and he is a solid guy. Not sure jail is the right call. Maybe community service in the form of habitat restoration projects or something of the like. People should be educated on why this is an issue and is being enforced.
Fines and community service won't work when guys are making so much off of sheds.
In Nevada there is a guy who was picking up #300 of sheds a year before the season was created. In the last two years since the season was put into law he has picked up right around #900. The brown price I sold for was $14.50 brown and $10.50 hard white. If you average the price to $12.50 x 600# thats $7500 more that he is likely stealing from everyone who is doing the right thing. Everyone is seeing lots of old cross country atv tracks and picking up a lot fewer sheds.

Should a shed hunter receive the penalty of a poacher for going early, or trespassing?

How many people are assigned to your bait, how far is the next closest bait?

Umm.....it’s just my bait and per WY law no one can bait within the 1x1 mile area I have registered to me. Only 1 other person has one near my area.

Umm.....it’s just my bait and per WY law no one can bait within the 1x1 mile area I have registered to me. Only 1 other person has one near my area.

So 1 person per square mile... as-opposed to the shed season when the Utah-bro’s are everywhere

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back