Late Summer panfish

Planning on heading over to your country next Sunday and Monday. Hope the bite is still going strong when we get there. My wife said we are running out of crappie and catfish, and that is unacceptable.

I meant more along the lines of bleeding or soaking in water, in order to get the whitest fillet possible. Thanks though.
I will bleed out my Kokanee and all saltwater species, but usually just soak or rinse the crappie for a while after filleting them. The Master Chukarman may have a different technique.

but usually just soak or rinse the crappie for a while after filleting them.
I was referring to the smallmouth fillets not crappies. I just soak those in water and fry. Typically I avoid smallies in the summer because they seem to have a mushiness to their meat.

I bleed them. The fillets were white and looked really good. I personally don't keep many bass but not because of a bad taste. Just have enough other fish I like better. All these fish will go home with the clients that are also fishing today.

Planning on heading over to your country next Sunday and Monday. Hope the bite is still going strong when we get there. My wife said we are running out of crappie and catfish, and that is unacceptable.
It's not wide open and you have to find them on a spot but starting in July I've had good crappie fishing. Can't remember a summer that we caught so many 13-14" thick-bodied fish. Everyday is different with wind and fishermen experience but I'm bringing in 40-80 most trips. Not all big slabs but were catching some each trip. The schools are mixed with fish from 8-14". Now bluegill and yellow perch are in the same school. It will just get better from here on out through mid-November.

How has the algea bloom been? I heard they are having issues around Woodhead.

I've been upriver or in the Powder the last couple weeks and it's just been normal summer algae. I've heard the same about downriver. It seems to come and go quickly.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back