Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Late season calling

A-con

Has anyone had sucsess useing calls in late October or November, or does it just scare them away ?

I've used cow calling to stop elk, but that's about all it has done. One place we hunt the bulls are still bugliing in Oct, but we have yet to call any in...

My best bull, a smallish 6x6 was cow called into about 50 yards in late October. I've heard them talk some even into December. Nothing agressive, but enough to help locate them. Most of the time it's the dink bulls that hang with the cows that are doing the talking.

I have read they talk year round, just not nearly like they do during the rut. To say I have have experienced any talking year round would be a lie. I have heard them bugling well into October though.

I've hunted bulls in Early November, one time with a rifle. I was very surprised at all the calling I heard. Actually that is how I found my first herd of elk in three days. I was about 3 miles into a huge burn that I've hunted before and started hearing cow calls. Actually heard about 100+ calls if you can believe that. They were going nuts. There was probably 10 bulls in the herd also making a lot of noise. I picked out the best bull and put him down.

The video sucks but it shows him bugling at the beginning for a little bit. I cut the sound in the video a lot because of all the wind noise. If you can see after the shot he stands there and just starts pouring out blood. This was November 1st.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back