Late Nevada muley hunt.

Thanks for taking us along. There's nothing mediocre about that buck, or that hunt. Black powder makes things more interesting, but the smell is worth it.

Thanks for the kind words folks. It was a fun hunt!

A few people have PM'd or asked questions about pictures, optics, rifle, bullet etc.....

All pics of deer on the thread were taken with a cheap Kodak point and shoot through my spotting scope.

My binos are Pentax DCF SP 10x50's.
Spotter is Minox 62ED with the 20-42x LER eyepiece, mounted on a Vortex tripod.

Muzzleloader is a NEF Huntsman with Williams peep sights. I love the peep sights. I have two aperature peeps, the standard makes me effective out to 125 yards. If I have a good rest, time and ideal lighting to put in the fine target peep, I will kill a paper plate at 200 yards every time.

Bullet was a Hornaday FPB 350 grainer on top of 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Very accurate and lethal. It went in the front of the chest and did not exit. I didn't dig for it.

That was a great write-up!

Enjoyed every word of it.

And a case of mistaken identity happens to everyone if you hunt enough.

On the bright side, that's a hell of a consolation prize, dang nice deer for sure.

Sounds like a great hunt in some great deer country.

Peeps

Do you have a pic of your two aperature peep sight setup? Don't think I've ever seen that.

That's a really great story, and awesome pictures.

Like others have said, that's a great consolation buck.

What a great hunt and story! Mistakes like that can happen to all of us. I had drawn a bighorn sheep tag after 14-years of trying in Montana. Backpacked into remote country in the Sun River area. Found a great ram. Didn't get on him right off, in fact it was two weeks later on another backpack trip that I found him again. I had some difficulty stalking him in a herd of 15 rams with steep partially timbered terrain. Got over anxious and mistakenly shot the wrong (very average) ram. It took me several years to get over the frustration I felt about my error.

Thanks for a great story.
Time for me to fess up. While reading along and looking at the pics I shot 'your' buck so many times in my head I fear I may have knocked him down. Probably still laying up there. I think I got 333 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back