Last ever hunt

I have no regrets, each hunt could be my last hunt. I do what I can afford. I had a blast hunting CO back in 2002 for elk with my bow. I knew I wouldnt be able to afford another trip like that for a while. I have had to scale way back on my hunting since for financial reasons and just now am starting to get back to where I was hunting. I love variety, upland with a good dog, waterfowl, turkey, big game with gun or bow, predator, it doesnt matter. I trust God will give me the appropriate last hunt. Until then, I am enjoying every hunt I can. For all I know I already did my last hunt, no regrets. Now, if I could really pick one last one, man, I dont know. Red Stag during the rut?

I try to make at least one dream hunt per year.

I was chasing a different dream this fall, but I'm getting back on track in 2015.

If I had to go it alone....it would be sheep.....anywhere, preferably Montana.. if I could take my son and daughter,it would be under a particular oak tree in May overlooking a small field where I killed a pile of Turkey's in my days and have them both kill one.....:cool:

As long as I could physically do it, definitely an Alaskan moose trip would do it for me! Hopefully one day I will get the chance regardless!

Archery hunt for bugling bullis in our home state of MT with my son . Same hunt we do every year!

If I had not already hunted moose in Newfoundland, that would be it. I have and so I would have to say a quality, guided elk hunt in western New Mexico, or a spot and stalk black bear somewhere.

If it was my last hunt ever this may sound weird but I would go back in time when I was a little guy maybe eight years of age sitting on gramps old favorite squirrel spot watching that beech tree stand for a squirrel like a booner buck was about to step out. But it was just a big ole fox squirrel the first animal ever sitting beside my grandpa with him coaching me on how to take a good aim at that ole squirrel in that beech tree pulling the trigger to watch it fall and that big ole smile on grandpa's face as I jumped up to make ninety down the ridge to grab it up. That would be my last wish/hunt he has been gone almost 20 years and it seems like this hunt was yesterday even though its been over 30 years ago. I can only hope I left that impression on my grandbaby this fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20141226_101223_920.jpg
    IMG_20141226_101223_920.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
If i knew it were my last hunt ever, Ide get me the Montana NR combination tags and hunt the whole archery season and the whole general season to extend my last hunt for as long as possible. Travel the state as much as I can looking at new places, but check out all of the places I have hunted in the past as well, and ultimately ending my trip in the same country I shot my very first deer.

I wouldn't care what I was hunting or where it was. I would just want my son and my dad with me.

The best part would be knowing....most hunters never know their last hunt is ultimately their last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back