Caribou Gear Tarp

Last Day of Ducks MT

Nemont

Today was the last day of the this duck season for Montana in the Central Flyway. It was -22 this morning when I left Glasgow. Drove 50 miles west to hook up with mtmiller (ElkGunner it was right around the same place I took you). I had a comedy of errors getting going but finally arrive just before 8 a.m. and met up with him. We go to an area that is kept open by a warm water spring and the ducks are piled in thick. Our plan is to jump the ducks off, hunker down and let them come back. Great idea because there are 300 ducks piled in just a little area. We spook them off but somebody forgot to tell the ducks they were supposed to come back. Just for shits and giggles I shoot at a goldeneye and succeed in peeling butt feather off of him. Anyway I end up with one mallard drake and miller ended up with one mallard drake plus a limit from yesterday. The ducks were kind of spooky today and just didn't come within range for us. Oh well that is hunting, sure beat sitting in the office. I think Axl was digusted with my shooting :D Anyway it was nice to finally meet Craig and see Axl in action. I can now clean my shotgun up and put everything away until October.

Nemont

I think it's about time (in my best Pau Harvey imitation) "the rest of the story"....:D

Nemont.... With you and Gunners Antelope hunt experience, now With MtMiller, I wonder what the Heck kind of Luck you have ;)

Any pictures ?

No pics were taken to protect the innocent. I don't know what kind of luck I have but I do know I have killed enough ducks this year so no big deal.

Nemont

I can assure you that when I duck hunted with Nemont, he had good enough luck not to do a complete face plant into the water when he tripped. Just his hands and arms up to his elbows went under....

Moosie,
Those guys up in that part of the state have a sweet deal. BIIIIIIIIIG country, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO people.

Hey Nemont,
Is MT that much smarter than me???

I think it's about time (in my best Pau Harvey imitation) "the rest of the story"....

Alright, now it is time for Jeff to kick my ass. After I dropped you off, I had full intensions of heading to Bowdoin to say hi and hit the road. As I rolled out of the parking area I decided I just had to see where those McNiel birds had gone, so I went back to where you and I started. Sure enough there were a pile of birds back in there. I got a quick double and then sat back. Within 5 minutes the sky was full of birds, but most were high and headed for Glasgow. Finally a few started dropping in lower for a look-see and I took two more to fill the bag.

Now to piss you off more. I now had an opportuity to pull out the camera for some field shots. As I was setting up, four drakes walked out of the bulrush and into the water. I sent Axl after them and he would chase and they would dive. Finally they flew off and we got some pics taken.

It was a pleasure to meet you Jeff and I look forward to hunting with you next year. I have boats, so we will have to hook up for some Bowdoin hunting next fall.

Here is a shot from Wednesday.
P1050157.sized.jpg

And a shot from Thursday will two limits.
P1050171.sized.jpg

I did let this one live.
P1050172.sized.jpg

Notes to self next year hunting late season- take a few decoys, bring the call, throw in some white camo, don't screw over Jeff. :D

Craig,
No hard feelings here, I stopped in Saco on my way home to visit the school there and picked up a nice binder check for a big plan. So just one duck but made some $$$ on the way home. I enjoyed meeting up with you and look forward to some hunting at Bowdoin next year. Nice pics.

Hey Nemont,
Is MT that much smarter than me???

No comment. :D

Nemont

Nemont,
Putting the shotgun up til October..............?
I guess the gobblers will be safe on the east side this spring!!!!
WD

Oh yeah gobblers, well maybe the shotgun will only be put away until April. Although my April looks pretty busy already. I will be in Tucson, AZ Arpil 9th to the 13th to celebrate turning the big 4-0 and then the next week I fly to Spokane for a meeting there and then I am in Wyoming for a meeting there. I may not get after the gobblers until the third week of the season.

Nemont

Back