Laryngeal paralysis

Bullshot

Labrador owners. I’m hearing that laryngeal paralysis is common in the breed. Talk to me!

I’ve had my 6 yo pup at ER vet and regular vet this week after some sudden
breathing difficulties and the ER vet particulary leaned this way but I didn’t let them sedate her and look any further yet. I may just lose it if this is the diagnosis on my dog. 🙁

Regular vet is thinking she maybe has something at issue with her pharynx and soft palate, which would actually be a whole lot better than the larynx.

I am just hoping she miraculously gets better, but its been a week and still stuff is going on (choking/wheezing/affecting her bark or ability to bark).

☹️☹️☹️

We went through that a few years ago with our Lab. From what I was told if it's just on one side it's possibly operable but with some complications through the life of the dog. Hoping for the best for you and your Lab.

Lost lab lab last may to LP at 10.5 years old. Had symptoms (mild) for 2.5 years, then surgery.
We got another 2 relatively healthy years with him after surgery. Wasn't in any pain or major distress until his last week with us.
He did retire from being my Dept of Defense service dog to being a house dog who loved the air conditioning and his couch when he had his surgery.
The diagnosis scared his humans far more than it did him. He was entirely unbothered by it (except when he got hot which was easy to do here in NW Arkansas).

We took him to the University of a Colorado at Ft Collins where the surgeon who designed the LP tie back procedure did his surgery. Oddly they were one of the least expensive places to have it done at. $2k there versus $4 other places. Surgery went well and his recovery was quick. No regrets about our decision other than maybe we should have done it sooner.

There is an awesome LP support group on FB. It had a TON of useful info for us. I'd start there.

Also, it seems that most vets have never heard of LP much less how to PROPERLY treat it. Find the right vet! We drove to Colorado to find the right one for our boy.

Best of luck.
Brian

My pups wheezing /breathing issues are a bit less this week but I am watching her like a hawk. She definitely has noisy breathing…at times. She is less playful than even a couple weeks ago, moving slower, barking less, panting more. I’d imagine LP in early stages might be irregular, so I remain concerned but my regular vet put her on baytril and prednisone in the meantime to address possible other upper respiratory possibilities. If this weirdness persists once she is off medication, I’ll probably agree to have her undergo the sedation so they can look at all the structures and functions with a scope. I am very very nervous. Taking this swimming, running, playful, perma-pub and finding out she has a permanent condition with lifestyle and likely lifespan altering affects would be devastating. I feel for those who have gone through it. I’d certainly rather not, but perhaps soon I’ll find out. fingers crossed she does what young-ish dogs normally do and just bounces back like nothing ever happened.

Lost my lab in 2009 to it- she was 11 The paralytic episodes were hard to watch. Glad to know there’s a form of treatment for it.

Labrador owners. I’m hearing that laryngeal paralysis is common in the breed. Talk to me!

I’ve had my 6 yo pup at ER vet and regular vet this week after some sudden
breathing difficulties and the ER vet particulary leaned this way but I didn’t let them sedate her and look any further yet. I may just lose it if this is the diagnosis on my dog. 🙁

Regular vet is thinking she maybe has something at issue with her pharynx and soft palate, which would actually be a whole lot better than the larynx.

I am just hoping she miraculously gets better, but its been a week and still stuff is going on (choking/wheezing/affecting her bark or ability to bark).

☹️☹️☹️
My dog developed laryngeal paralysis around 10 years old. Surgery was a option but the vet advised against it due to her age. She lived to be 14 1/2 and hunted her ass off every season until the end. Try to keep your dog in shape and ease into hunting seasons as they age and they will be fine.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.” D.H. Lawrence​

My last old guy got it at 10 years old. Not bad enough to need surgery before he was gone at 12 because he was just kind of old an lazy and did not push himself so hard because of knee problems. Sucks to see your buddy go downhill so fast

Thank you. I’m inquiring with a surgical vet about doing the sedation/inspection. My girl still is still having some breathing/gagging episodes this week with an altered bark. I am headed to Colorado and Wyoming in two weeks and would really like to know if she is OK before I go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back