Landlocked private in Senate this week.

I do see a way to get some folks who have purchased amenity ranches and have some valid concerns about access (Letterman, for example) using this as a way to provide access while ensuring their own protection, both personal and property.

One question in regards to this topic. How has the Hunter Access Enhancement Fee that we have in Montana worked out? I was a big proponent of the idea when it first came out. Use the money to pay for cattle guards or even stock tanks or wells the farmer/rancher needed in exchange for an easement to public land. In regards to this, do you know how much the state has raised within this program? Is it working? I personally have not seen anything in the areas I hunt, but I sure hope it has had a POSITIVE effect somewhere in this state. I ask because I have not seen any information on this program.

And in regards to how county attorneys view the corner crossing issue... I have a good friend that is a county attorney, and he HATES the current law. But as a prosecuting attorney, he has an obligation to follow the law. As with everyone on here, he thinks the current law is a bunch of B.S but one that will probably never go away.

Sorry for jumping in the middle of this, and just pulling one quote from you Ben, but here is my take on this.

I see no way this could work with the vast majority of landowners. Having an easement does de-value their property. Even if there were multiple landowners that are blocking access, and you can get one to agree to this to open access, he/she is going to get run out of the county for de-valuing everyone elses property.

I can see where you might think that, but the reality, based on the history of easements, both for access & conservation show a much different story. Land values aren't based solely on development purposes, especially in the current real estate market that places a higher value on amenity properties than development property. Here's my anecdote:

A friend of mine owns a wild piece of country north of Helena. He's put conservation easements across his upper and lower ranch. That in turn has increased his land value based on the offers he's received from Cabela's, millionaires and billionaires. They want that undeveloped, wild land. He turned down offers to lease the minerals when the oil and gas companies came through and that cost him around $1 million just in leases, but the land was more important.

I think a lot of landowners, based on the desire to enroll in CE"s, see a lot of value in maintaining the working landscapes - the added bonus is that the land is now easier to pass on to the heirs, rather than worry about the estate tax.

An access easement, if properly managed and written, will not be detriment to land prices. It won't be a boon either, but based on my experiences I just don't see that happening.

One question in regards to this topic. How has the Hunter Access Enhancement Fee that we have in Montana worked out? I was a big proponent of the idea when it first came out. Use the money to pay for cattle guards or even stock tanks or wells the farmer/rancher needed in exchange for an easement to public land. In regards to this, do you know how much the state has raised within this program? Is it working? I personally have not seen anything in the areas I hunt, but I sure hope it has had a POSITIVE effect somewhere in this state. I ask because I have not seen any information on this program.

Granted this report is now 3 years old and we have to remember that the VPL are no more, but starting on page 17 there is some good info on how the HAEF has been implemented: http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=56347

I think it has been a net positive overall. Is it as widely used as Block Management? No, but the funding source isn't as large either.

Granted this report is now 3 years old and we have to remember that the VPL are no more, but starting on page 17 there is some good info on how the HAEF has been implemented: http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=56347

I think it has been a net positive overall. Is it as widely used as Block Management? No, but the funding source isn't as large either.

Thanks for that link Ben. After browsing through that I have hunted an area that has benefited from the program. It is good to know where the funding came from on the project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back