Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lanai Mouflon

live free or die

So, I managed to draw a mouflon rifle hunt again for second consecutive year. Although I came home empty handed last year I found it to be an awesome hunt. With no time to scout and only 2 day hunt it seemed a bit of a dash. I saw zero sheep on the first day despite hunting hard. Day two i changed location and tactics and was in the sheep all day. I had oppurtunity on numerous sheep but being allitle too fussy meant coming with nothing.
My plan this year is to spend a couple days scouting, looking for a decent head. I would prefer to camp out and spend some time studying them. Has anyone camped on Lanai before? Is it allowed? Last year there some people camped out at Shipwreck beach.
I do not want to stay in a campground,

Technically NO camping allowed in Hawaii except for in designated campgrounds, those being County, State, Federal, or Private. However, .................locals and tourist often camp throughout Hawaii in remote locations. Maui residents will cross the channel in their boats and camp on the windward (east) side of Lana'i. I would not set up a camp site. If I did it I would just pitch a tent at night in a remote location and pack it up well before light. Zero impact or trace. No campfire etc.

Or else you could say you're homeless and set up a camp in the city park and the city mayor will come out and coddle you........lol

Last edited:
No camping in Hawaii? I guess I would understand that around beaches, but seems loony for hunters..
Sounds fun live free, keep us posted!

Lana'i only has a Company campground because the entire island is privately owned. On the other islands they have the county, state, and federal campgrounds. County being the best deal and often used by locals.

Thanks guys
Breck, that was pretty much my plan. Shifting around in remote areas. Not too cheap to rent a place but would rather be right in the thick of it.
Who knows, if I get that big ram I may get one of them $800/night rooms and a nice massage!

Back