Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

KUIU tents

rmyoung1

I'm in the market for a new 1-person backpacking tent. I've been looking at the Hilleberg Akto forever now, and I always assumed that I would be pulling the trigger on one this summer, but I heard that KUIU is coming out with a lightweight tent they are calling the Mountain Star. Apparently, they've been making the circuit at the big hunting shows this winter. Did anyone take a look at these new tents? What are your impressions?

Interesting . . . Hopefully whatever they do they make it 6 inches longer than the akto or it'd still be useless to us normal sized people.

Interesting . . . Hopefully whatever they do they make it 6 inches longer than the akto or it'd still be useless to us normal sized people.

Haha. I wouldn't know. I fit easily into overhead storage bins.

Hilleberg is a tent company, they've been building tents for decades. Their tents are used on the toughest expeditions all over the world. That said, I'm not sure their product is the best 3 season option for a weight conscious backpacker in the lower 48.

KUIU is just starting in the tent business. Their tent might end up being the best tent ever made, but I'm always hesitant to trust new items untested by the general public. Also, I imagine it's not going to be cheap. I'd probably wait a couple years before giving them my money.

KUIU is just starting in the tent business. Their tent might end up being the best tent ever made, but I'm always hesitant to trust new items untested by the general public. Also, I imagine it's not going to be cheap. I'd probably wait a couple years before giving them my money.

That's my hesitation exactly. You couldn't have stated it any better. That's why I was hoping that a HuntTalker or two had seen them at the shows and could put my curiosity to rest.

On KUIU's forums someone said the tent is only made for someone 6' tall....I found that very hard to believe as Jason is 6'4". It'd be cool if he blogged about the current product development and what it is shaping up to be.

Backpacker or mountaineering style tents make no sense in cold weather IMO.

I'd buy a tipi or simple shelter. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Go Lite, etc. They are super light and you can use a titanium wood stove.

Anyone hear about the leaking issues? I have a buddy who is headed out in a few days with one, and would like to know if he needs to bring a different tent.

I would recommend going backpacking more than once a year, then he could tell us. I don't really backpack hunt with untried gear, but hopefully things go well for him.

That might have come off a little snarky, no offense intended to the poster. Seriously though, why try gear out when your hunting effectiveness and safety depend on it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back