Kudos to Wyoming G&F

fowladdict

A good family friend (Steve) has been applying to Wyoming for Moose prior to the inception of a bonus point system. He finally drew this year with his max points. Steve is a favorite among his local deputies to be on their volunteer search and rescue missions. He is a hell of a hunter, almost 70 years old and probably can outlast most 30 year olds on the mountain. He and I have had several successful hunts together. Unfortunately he was shot in the hip from 30 yards by an unknown man with a handgun while on a search and rescue mission last week. He played dead for an hour and a half, for fear the man was still in the area. His hunting partner (another good family friend) for this moose hunt immediately called WY G&F and explained the situation and asked if they would give him his points back. Instead they offered to hold his tag for next year!!! Many thanks to Wyoming for being understanding and willing to help a hunter out!! I am sure after he has some time to get well he will be elated with this news. Hopefully he recovers and will be back on the mountain next year. For those interested here is a link to the story. http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...ive-shooter-situation-in-nevada-city/41128788

glad to hear he is ok. Hopefully they also find the missing person and the piece of s**t shooter. Be nice to hear that he gets a monster bull with his tag next year.

I have heard some really good things about the Wy game and fish this year. This is really cool they will go out of their way to help out hunters. Many other states departments could learn something from them. I hope Steve has a speedy recovery and can make use of this next year.

I'm glad they did the right thing. Doesn't always work out that way. Hope he recovers and shoots a monster next year!

Thanks guys! I just heard from Steve. He was released from the hospital yesterday (his 70th birthday) and has a long road of physical therapy ahead of him. I think his WY moose tag will give him plenty of determination to heal up fast.

A hunt for a pot grower might be the first place to start. Why wouldn't a grower just shoot to scare and not hit?

A hunt for a pot grower might be the first place to start. Why wouldn't a grower just shoot to scare and not hit?

Given the location of the rescue mission, that was my first thought. To my knowledge they still have not found the missing man or the shooter. For whatever reason they believe that the shooter is a hermit that has lived in the area for 20+ years. Apparently when he shows himself in town he appears a little more crazy each time. I'm pretty certain they suspect the shooter may have something to do with the missing man as well.

Back