Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

KS Muleys

nhenry

A little late since I drew the tag at the beginning of the month, but I drew a western KS Either Species/Either Sex tag for this upcoming fall, which means it's muley time unless I just see a bruiser of a whitetail in NWK where I'll be hunting.
If I get my 280AI all bedded and finished in enough time to work up a load for it, I'll be using either the 120gr Hammer Hunter or 120gr TTSX for this excursion.

Last edited:
Reports of emergency use (haying) of western Kansas CRP lands with very poor agriculture production abound on several Facebook pages. I would imagine that bedding and escape cover will be at minimum levels.

I wish you a wonderful adventure.

Reports of emergency use (haying) of western Kansas CRP lands with very poor agriculture production abound on several Facebook pages. I would imagine that bedding and escape cover will be at minimum levels.

I hadn't heard about that (yet), but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll have to ask my relatives about it.

Thank you. I'll keep this thread updated on random progress I make.

Sir this is Kansas. Even in western ks I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the described scenario.
Oh I'm aware. My uncles, dad, and I went out to scout for deer in the same area we were hunting and we saw many bruisers of both species. They sure ate their share of corn.

I've never killed a muley before. I sure would like to.

It would take a world record bruiser of a whitetail to make me use that tag on anything other than a muley. Great tag! Congrats and good luck.

Seems that is the story every year out there.

I did more load development and found a load that my gun liked more consistently.

120gr TTSX over 59.8gr of IMR 4350 going 3368 avg. ES of 7.

That’ll do, pig. Muleys beware.

Also, plans changed and I’m now going to be hunting in a different county in NWK around Mom’s hometown. The herd around dad’s hometown is at 20% of what it was 5 years ago.

2AE2720A-771C-460B-B915-73D4CA915E54.jpeg

2021 kansas statewide muley harvest was about 1,700…TOTAL! Ouch.

2021 kansas statewide muley harvest was about 1,700…TOTAL! Ouch.
As far as I know there were less tags than that given out this year. 1300 for residents and 170 ish for nonres. The herd isn't doing that well.

This

Attachments

• HarvestReport2020_2021.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back