Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Kodiak Tents Flex Bow Vs. Cabin

stealthy_bowman

Hi all,
I will be purchasing a new tent this year and am absolutely sold on a Kodiak. Only dilemma is whether to get the 12x9 cabin model (maybe with the awning) or the 10x14 flex-bow deluxe model. Curious if any of you have both (or tried both) and have a preference?

My only complaint about my 10x14 is that it's too small. If you get the 9x12, definitely spring for the awning.

Hi all,
I will be purchasing a new tent this year and am absolutely sold on a Kodiak. Only dilemma is whether to get the 12x9 cabin model (maybe with the awning) or the 10x14 flex-bow deluxe model. Curious if any of you have both (or tried both) and have a preference?

Curious to why you are absolutely sold on a Kodiak?

Curious to why you are absolutely sold on a Kodiak?
Number of reasons:
1. Researched it quite a bit across different sites and the overwhelming positive feedback from users is amazing.
2. Ease of set up is a big plus - both models are ok to set up solo if need be, with the flex bow being super easy. As I can only count on myself to actually go on hunts 100% of the time, this is a critical factor for me
3. Durability in weather and overall durability - again overwhelmingly positive feedback from users in all kinds of weather.
4. Cost is quite reasonable

LCH, thanks for the feedback. Too small for 3 or more people, or do you find that to be the case even for just one or two?

Number of reasons:
1. Researched it quite a bit across different sites and the overwhelming positive feedback from users is amazing.
2. Ease of set up is a big plus - both models are ok to set up solo if need be, with the flex bow being super easy. As I can only count on myself to actually go on hunts 100% of the time, this is a critical factor for me
3. Durability in weather and overall durability - again overwhelmingly positive feedback from users in all kinds of weather.
4. Cost is quite reasonable

LCH, thanks for the feedback. Too small for 3 or more people, or do you find that to be the case even for just one or two?
It's a good size for 2. Three is crowded, 4 you can barely move.

It's a good size for 2. Three is crowded, 4 you can barely move.
He is spot on I just bought the 10x14 and 4 would be super tight. I really love the tent though. I got mine in bargain cave at Cabelas for 270. If there is one close by it will be worth watching for one.

My sons and I have done DIY elk hunts in Sept out of our 10x14. 3 of us and a folding table and it works just fine. I don’t know how you’d do 4 people in there though. I’d say 3 is max for being comfortable.

-Mitch

I have the 10x14 deluxe, but only have only camped two of us in it. It was comfortable for the two of us with our gear and small cook table in there, three would seem tight but I couldn't imagine having four people. I will say it is a great tent tho, really pleased with mine.

Do you have the side walls for the awning and if so, do you have to remove them when it gets windy or do they hold up ok?
Yes i use them most of the time but they are not as sturdy as the tent and would be a huge pain to put up in serious wind. I wouldn't use them on the Wyoming plains but anything under 20mph should be fine.

Myself, I am planning on buying a small cabin tent since it's just me and the wife that uses it mainly. I have a cabin tent and love it and plan on using it to cover my gear from the elements and use the wall tent to sleep in since it will have a stove to stay warm. Dome tents are quicker to pick up but if you get caught in weather, the cabin tent is a better value. Dome tents are OK for day or weekend trips but if you plan to set up for a week I would go with a cabin or wall tent.

Myself, I am planning on buying a small cabin tent since it's just me and the wife that uses it mainly. I have a cabin tent and love it and plan on using it to cover my gear from the elements and use the wall tent to sleep in since it will have a stove to stay warm. Dome tents are quicker to pick up but if you get caught in weather, the cabin tent is a better value. Dome tents are OK for day or weekend trips but if you plan to set up for a week I would go with a cabin or wall tent.
I have the 10X14 Flex Bow, it is a very good choice for the DIY dispersed type of hunting, it is a fine three man set up and very easy to move on short notice. A good quality tent also.

Dome or bow tents are fine when you want to be mobile. I carry a 1 person pup tent in my backpack which serves also for emergency shelter if I get stuck in weather. Everyone has different needs and wants and it amounts alot to personal preferences.

Just bought a used flex bow 10x10 with a stove and three cots. Going to use it first week of May on a 4 day bear hunt. Trying to convince friends to go out on the inaugural trip. I'll let you know how it goes.

So I went with the 10x14 flexbow mainly because of the ease of set up for solo hunts. Just got it and set it up yesterday to test it out. Total set up time, including time to read the directions, was just under 10 minutes (solo set up). My initial impressions are good, the tent seems plenty big for what I need it for and seems incredibly well built. I soaked it, as recommended, to condition it and no leaks at all. Supposed to get some thunderstorms this evening and that will be a good test for it. Really looking forward to using this thing as my base camp in MT this fall.
tent 2.jpeg

I use something similar but a cabin tent without the awning. Thinking about getting a small 8 man wall tent just because I go hunting where it sometimes gets on the cold and snowy side so I want something that can handle a wood burning stove.

Reactions: Guy
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back