Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Knife restoration

Stay Sharp

Ive posted a few gun restorations on this forum but this is a knife restoration.

I was asked by a friend in Texas, to repair a knife that belonged to his father and grandfather. It is not an expensive knife. It's worth is more in sentiment. He said the leather washers on the handle were dry rotted so he wanted me to make a new grip and since the knife was missing it's sheath, he asked that I make a new one.

this is what I got in the mail. To make the knife usable, he had dipped the handle in Plasti-kote. There was a lot of rust as well.

red1.jpg

The tip had been snapped off a few years ago so he asked that I re-shape it.

red2.jpg

I was able to get the red plastic off but that only revealed the remnants of the duct tape that must have been used before the plastic coating.

red3.jpg

Once I got the leather off the handle, I found the tang was badly rusted. It can still be saved.

red4.jpg

The aluminum pommel has some deep dings and scratches but I can remove them as well. The thing I found odd was that the brass finger guard has a visible notch but that is how it came from the manufacturer.

red6.jpg

I re-shaped the blade and got rid of as much pitting as I could without wrecking the blade.

red5.jpg

My friend asked that I use oasge for the handle. He sent along a few pieces of 50 year old Osage fence post to replace the leather of the grip.

red7.jpg

Once I cut out the scales for the handle and saw the yellow, I just had to add some red. Since it is a hunting knife with a deep history, I cut two, thin bloodwood spacers that will lay closest to the metal of the handle.

red8.jpg

I masked off the metal parts (easier to get the extra epoxy off) and assembled the parts. After 24 hours passes, I will be able to shape the handle and finish the polishing of the metal parts.

red92.jpg

After a bit of shaping, the knife is starting to look like a knife again.

red93.jpg

red97.jpg

red95.jpg

red96.jpg

I got rid of all the scratches as well.

red94.jpg

Time to start the sheath. I will use 8 Oz. Tooling leather because I want to stamp a little fancy schmancy stuff onto the leather

red992.jpg

Then stitched it and trimmed it.

red993.jpg

Then I made a snap strap to hold it in place.

red994.jpg

Lastly, I got the whole thing wet and fit the sheath to the knife. I will let it dry over night before I stain it.

red995.jpg

Well, A little red brown stain and Neatsfoot oil and a rub down with mink oil and the sheath and the project are complete.

I used some diamonds and ceramic and now the blade is like a razor. There is some great steel in that blade.

red999.jpg

red998.jpg

red997.jpg

red996.jpg

I looks a little diff then when I got it. I hope he likes it.

red1.jpg

You keep busy. I like it. I buy old German hunting knives on ebay and rebuild them. It's fun, cheap, and the knives can't be beat for quality.

Looked at your shotgun rebuild before this one. Damn, you're good! I like the red accent on the knife handle. Sets it off nicely.

That's amazing! Restoration work hands down has got to be the coolest activity around! Preserving memories which is what it's all about!

I like your knife work almost as much as that bow.

I have a question for you. Do you ever "stabilize" knife handle wood? The vacuum epoxy sort of thing? I have been thinking about trying something like that.

I dont if its the very hard and dense African woods. Thinner slices like spacers I will will use a wood hardener.

How do you remove the pitting/scratches?
Is a bench grinder/sander an essential bit of kit in making/restoring knives?
I am interested in making/restoring knives but the outlay on tools is expensive, or so it seems.
Are there any books you can recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Richard

Harbor freight and garage sales and even a local hardware store will have all you need without a great outlay in cost. A used bench grinder would be nice but a palm sander and even hand sanding can do the job.

How do you remove the pitting/scratches?
Is a bench grinder/sander an essential bit of kit in making/restoring knives?
I am interested in making/restoring knives but the outlay on tools is expensive, or so it seems.
Are there any books you can recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Richard

Like Stay Sharp said a belt sander is nice. You could even clamp a small one in a vice upside down, but the best work is done by hand with backed wet-dry abrasive papers, lots of time and patience.

A drill press is super handy but a hand drill will do. chisels, fine saws, epoxy are all that are really needed.

There are knife building and restoring videos out there on youtube. Some are excellent. There are probably books but the videos are all you really need I think. Do several. You will get better as you go and each knife is different and requires a different approach but all of them are simple enough to just figure it out as you go.

Pick out a blade to restore and start a thread. Folks will help you along the way with each step of the restoration. It would be fun to watch.

Back