Kimber Montana vs Husqvarna

glennw89

Need to crowd source some opinions here. Unfortunately, due to inflexible work commitments and short local rifle seasons I spend much more time archery and muzzleloader hunting than rifle hunting. I have two Kimber Montanas - a 257 Roberts and a 280 Remington. They are great rifles, but expensive rifles to be basically gathering dust in my gun safe.

The Husqvarna 1600 (4000) series are readily available here in Canada and are considered by many to be a very high quality lighweight rifle. I can get a very good condition 1600 (4000) for about $500 Canadian. I could buy a couple of them and have quite a bit of $$$ left over after selling the Montanas.

I do a lot of still hunting, backpack hunting, etc. so I do need a lightweight rifle.

Would I be crazy to sell the Montanas and buy a couple Husqvarnas?

Unless you already have a motivated buyer in mind selling a rifle is not as easy as it sounds. I don't know if that applies in Canada tho...I'd keep the Kimber, no question.

I hunt with cheap rifles, so I'd say sell the expensive ones. I hunt in too much nasty stuff to have nice guns haha!

But its a deeply personal question. Some folks never sell guns, only buy more. Other keep rotating the crop. To each their own.

I think the decision is all yours to make, and there is probably not a wrong one. I have 1 1640 husky and a couple older 98 action ones. They are really nice rifles that were well made from quality steel. That said, they are 50-60 year old rifles. Their condition varies greatly depending on the previous owner's care and use. The wood is usually plain, but free float the barrel and bedding the action should help them.

If I were going to swap a newer proven rifle for a husky, I would be very selective on which husky I buy and I would buy it and test it at the range before selling the Kimbers. If you get a good condition rifle that's a shooter, you'll be happy with it.

Are you just looking to free up funds for something else, or just feel guilty for having nice things? :D Plenty of options out there for light(ish) rifles at a lower price point than the Kimbers. The Huskies are ok rifles

Good choice. I’m not fond of getting rid of rifles. It seems like I regret it when I do. If I have a rifle that shoots well then I keep it unless something about it just doesn’t fit or feel right.

If you are fortunate to have kids, grandkids, or friend's kids who hunt when you have too many rifles just pass them forward.

Back