Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kimber 8400 mountain ascent

So I’m working up a load for my Kimber 8400 mountain ascent chambered in 300 win mag. I have tried quite a few things with little success. I would like to find a decent load in the 165 range but it doesn’t have to be. Has anyone here had any success with this setup? And if they have are you willing to share?

Sounds like my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. For what Kimber advertises their rifles at and what I got I wont be buying a second Kimber...Ever.

I got one in 270 win. The only thing mine really shoots well is the 130 grain Barnes ttsx.

I don't have any experience with the rifle you have.
But have plenty of time spent loading for the .300 win mag.

165gr. Nosler BT
77gr R-22

180gr. Accubond
79gr R-26

Winchester Magnum primers
As is always recommend, start low (3-5gr) and work up.
I average 1/2" or better groups with these loads, with no pressure problems, out of my Win. M70
I have heard from several that they couldn't get the bullets lighter than 165 to group well in the win mag.
I feel it does tend to like 180+ , but mine shot 165s and 168s very well.

Tinker with the bullet seating depth.
Mine liked them long as I could fit in the box and still cycle.
Some need a more running start.
Seat one as long as you can cycle and see if it can be closed okay without a hard bolt. Then seat them progressively dealer as you test for accuracy.
Don't forget to let the rifle cool between every 3-5 shots.
Good luck and hope this helps

I don't have any experience with the rifle you have.
But have plenty of time spent loading for the .300 win mag.

165gr. Nosler BT
77gr R-22

180gr. Accubond
79gr R-26

Winchester Magnum primers
As is always recommend, start low (3-5gr) and work up.
I average 1/2" or better groups with these loads, with no pressure problems, out of my Win. M70
I have heard from several that they couldn't get the bullets lighter than 165 to group well in the win mag.
I feel it does tend to like 180+ , but mine shot 165s and 168s very well.
Thanks, I’ll give it a try, and I will put your other advice to use as well.

There is a thread on 24 hour about “accurizing” Kimbers. There are a couple of things to check for, and I would skim bed the gun if you are concerned. I get it you shouldn’t have to worry about it, but mine is a 1/2 MOA gun.

There is a thread on 24 hour about “accurizing” Kimbers. There are a couple of things to check for, and I would skim bed the gun if you are concerned. I get it you shouldn’t have to worry about it, but mine is a 1/2 MOA gun.

You shouldn’t have to do a thing to a gun that is advertised as a sub moa rifle to get it to shoot less than an inch. They should build them to shoot everything less than an inch. I get each rifle is different, I tried so many combos of handloads and factory ammo nothing would come close to moa. Sent it to kimber they told me shoot a target bullet out of it. It was thier lightweight hunting rifle. Let’s think why would a hunter shoot a target bulletin at game animals? I’ll never buy a kimber again. I shoulda went with a tikka. Hell I’d take an ugly ass Stevens 200 over a kimber, at least the Stevens would shoot.

Here is the post JLS was referring to. It’s full of great info.
Also have you tried any 180gr loads? 165 monos? Many 300win I’ve seen just shoot better with heavier/longer bullets.

Thanks I’ll look into it

You shouldn’t have to do a thing to a gun that is advertised as a sub moa rifle to get it to shoot less than an inch. They should build them to shoot everything less than an inch. I get each rifle is different, I tried so many combos of handloads and factory ammo nothing would come close to moa. Sent it to kimber they told me shoot a target bullet out of it. It was thier lightweight hunting rifle. Let’s think why would a hunter shoot a target bulletin at game animals? I’ll never buy a kimber again. I shoulda went with a tikka. Hell I’d take an ugly ass Stevens 200 over a kimber, at least the Stevens would shoot.

I don’t disagree, just offering a potential solution.

Any company can have a lapse in quality control.
Best option is to go over things as soon as you get a new rifle home.
But after you have had it awhile, companies may not be willing to help fix a problem.
I would bet a little bedding compound would go a long way towards better accuracy on most rifles. Regardless of what the company advertises.

Troubleshooting one thing at a time is key. Once you're satisfied with the soundness of the rifle and ring/scope setup, I would recommend a full ladder test for working up a load. Maybe you already have. Some rifles you can plug about anything in and it'll shoot, some not so much. If you do a ladder test--or even the chronograph version--with a few known winner bullets and still aren't getting results, then the real frustration sets in. :D

If you do a ladder test--or even the chronograph version--with a few known winner bullets and still aren't getting results, then the real frustration sets in. :D
[/QUOTE]

Then it’s time to sell it or rebarrel it!😁

Troubleshooting one thing at a time is key. Once you're satisfied with the soundness of the rifle and ring/scope setup, I would recommend a full ladder test for working up a load. Maybe you already have. Some rifles you can plug about anything in and it'll shoot, some not so much. If you do a ladder test--or even the chronograph version--with a few known winner bullets and still aren't getting results, then the real frustration sets in. :D
I did a full ladder test. several different bullets and weights along with about 3 or so different powders. Nothing would get me satisfaction, that’s why I posted this. I checked out the link on 24 hour campfire and found 2 of issues on the rifle so I’m gonna resolve those and do one.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back