Kicked off 2017 shed season

Bambistew

Spent the holidays in Montana with family. Lots and lots of deer around, fun to see them. I think we saw 4 or 5 shedded out bucks as well. Seems pretty early to me, as I rarely found them much before the end of January.

I spotted a nice shed, went back and go my 3yo son and let him find his first. Pretty funny video. I prodded him along, and told him to watch for deer antlers, I just knew we were getting close... We found his bed where he laid after he shed and bled a bit, tracked him to his feeding area (10 yards) and the at 5ft he spotted it! So funny to see him get excited, pretty sure he was more excited to find the antler than some of his Christmas toys. Pure instinct.

20161227_153546-COLLAGE.jpg

Also watched a local POS stop along the road, tell his kid to run up into my parents yard and grab a shed off the lawn. Before we realized what had happened they were gone. Wasn't hard to track him down in a small town though. When confronted the next day he lied, and made up a story, including not having a son, nor being there at that time the day before. He wouldn't tell me his name either. If the kid would have come up to the house and knocked, I would have given him the other side. Quality parenting there. The dad needs his teeth knocked out.

Turned out he's known for stealing, lying, poaching, and in general a worthless piece of chit. He stole a winter killed bull elk off my parents property a couple years before. I never met the guy, so didn't know who he was.

Whitetail shedding just after Christmas is not usual. I almost always find a few before the first of the year.

Nice looking antler. That sucks about the match

Love it!! Quality parenting, indeed - your part, not the DB.
Way to spark that instinct.

Whitetail shedding just after Christmas is not usual. I almost always find a few before the first of the year.

Nice looking antler. That sucks about the match

We had 3 WT bucks around the cabin. Last Friday all 3 had their horns, by Monday only one had one side left. I know their close, but the snow didn't stop, so I'll wait till it melts a bit. Fun to watch them show up with the set, next day one side, next gone!

One of the best whitetail antlers I ever found was in a yard. Spotted it from the county road. I debated about asking or just going and getting the antler.( I had permission to look on the property from the owner. The old guy that lived in the house was renting) In the end I decided that walking around the fields was a lot different than 50 feet from the house so I was knocking on the door. The old guy was surprised there was an antler in his yard and that I could spot it from 100 yards. At thirty feet he still thought it was a stick.

Nice! Seems to be a fair amount on the ground over here based on what I'm seeing posted online. Probably a bunch buried in the snow since we are having a pretty legit winter.

Back