Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Kick ass elk jerky (or venison)

Big D

O.K. Bryan, here goes:
Take 3-4 pounds elk or venison out of the freezer. Any cut of meat will work. Let the meat thaw out about half way, where it's starting to thaw, but yet is still firm. (easier to slice thin this way, just make sure your knife is sharp) Slice your strips of meat about 1/4 inch thick, with, or against the grain, it doesn't matter.
For the marinade:
you'll need soy sauce (any cheapo will work fine). You'll also need a small bottle of liquid smoke. the type I use comes in about a 6-8 oz. bottle, and is called "Mrs. Wrights liquid hickory smoke". You'll alo need a can of black pepper.
In a mixing bowl, pour in about 1/3 of a 16 oz. bottle of the soy sauce. Then add about 2 tbsp. of water to dilute the salinity of the soy sauce. Then add about 1 1/2 oz. of the liqid smoke, and stir well. Start adding meat strips, until the marinade covers most of the meat. Turn frequently, for about 5 minutes, but NO LONGER! If you leave the meat in the marinade too long, the flavor of the liqid smoke is too overpowering. I usually leave it in the marinade until the meat starts turning the color of the marinade.
Place a couple of layers of newspaper on your kitchen table to absorb the excess marinade. Get the trays from your dehhydrator, and spray a thin coating of "Pam" or something similar on each tray to avoid the jerky from sticking, when it is done. Place the marinated meat strips on the tray close to each other, but do not let them overlap. When the tray is full, sprinkle with black pepper, using however much you think you'll like. (I like mine HOT, so I use quite a bit) Continue filling the trays and peppering, until all of your trays are full.One little hint: Place your dehydrator in the garage, or some place similar, because the smell of the jerky drying out can be quite powerful. After about 4 hours, alternate the trays. After another 4 hours, you should have jerky, depending on how thick the meat strips were. Take off the jerky strips that are done, and leave the ones that aren't quite finished on the trays, still cooking for another hour or two. If ya go back to the old forum, and look in the recipe section, you'll see where you can even make jerky out of the ground meat, for those who have a tough time chewing jerky. Enjoy it guys, I've got more jerky recipes I'll post later on, but this is the one that I've had the most demand for.
Big D
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Keepin' 'em in the black"
"Coalition, Strong, Proud, and Growing"
"If ya wanna save a tree, then eat a beaver"

Great Recipe.

If you want to do it differenty try Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning. They have different flavors (original,hickory,pepper blend and Bourbon BBQ) for beef,elk, or deer. They even make some for wild turkey and goose. They can be found at your local supermarket by the choice cut and seafood counter. You have everything there except the meat of choice.

------------------

Happy Hunting
Lady Hunter in AZ

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back