Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

KHunter ‘21 archery elk semi-live

Here's a nice bull (video and still photo) wallowing late one evening maybe 1. 5 miles from camp. ABQBW hunted near that wallow on a different day and had some close calls. Video is pretty cool if you like watching wallowing bulls!

thumbmainbullMainMeadow.png

I believe it was the next day, after we had literally hunted our way completely around a large knob (see below screenshot) that was close to 3 miles to hike around that we ended up near this same wallow and encountered a couple of of the better bulls of the trip. We were chasing and in and out of a larger dispersed and rutting herd most of the afternoon. One bull we called in was real nice 320-330 and I came very close to getting a shot at. He came straight in after the most basic of cow calls on the heels of a raghorn he was trailing but he never quire stopped moving as he came by and at 60 yards so not shot opportunity. As we headed the direction he went we landed near this wallow and ABQBW spotted a solid 340" bull just across the draw. Actually the bull and 12? cows were just about where we were standing the day prior when I took this video. For 10-15 minutes the bull and cows hung out, calling and bugling but we were pinned down by thin cover and two doggone 5 point raghorns that were bedded 150 yards from the big bull maybe 80 yards from me and had me pegged. ABQBW gave me the go ahead to be the one to make a try for the big bull once he had moved into the timber a bit more and was slowly trailing his cows down the ridge.

Interestingly this bull had a bleeding puncture wound high in the right shoulder above the lungs. I thought at the time the wound was from another bull given all antler clashing/sparring we had been seeing/hearing but the Amish hunter, when I talked to him after the season thought it was a bull he arrowed high in the void between lungs and spine--all the horn configuration particulars and the sound of his bugle with a deep grunt at the end seemed to match. Finally, I decided the big bull was far enough away and I did not care how the little 5 pts reacted to me scooting across a mostly open area of the draw to get across and onto the ridge the big bull was on. I scooted across the open area and the 5 pts quietly exited into the timber and thankfully not in the directing the 340 bull had gone and surprisingly? did not even bark.

I ended up chasing down the big bull but bumped one of the cows who trotted off (no barking thankfully). Once within maybe 150-200 yards I started bugling at the big bull. He responded well with his own bugles and after I added in some cow calls came into me as close as 50 yards but was covered by small trees over his vitals and turned back to be with the cows.

Here is a screen shot of the track as we hunted around the above knob. Called in the first big bull on "North" side of track. The little 5 point bulls were just inside the timber east of the track on the far "east" side of photo. The big bull I was really trying to kill that a;ready had the wound on high shoulder was just south of the 5 pts and had come out into the meadow a bit then back into timber. Track shows where I crossed the top end of meadow and headed south trailing that bull and cow and had a close call.

THunt Around Knob.png

I then moved another 400 yards and got right on a cool sounding bull and cows that were out in the meadow just outside the timber. At this point I was 3/4 mile up the meadow from where we first saw the big bull. This one was a BIG 5 point I would definitely arrow, cuz who does not want a whopper of a 5 point with a whale tail, if given the chance. ABQBW was actually a 1/3 of a mile away on the other side of the meadow and got a good look at him and watched how this stalk unfolded. He could not see me but could see the elk. Got within 65 yards and got quite a show as he tended the cows, bugled and glunked. While waiting for him to slip up and get in range the wind which had been great for the entire stalk of the last hour plus rolled up my neck and out to the herd...and you know the rest of it. Pounding hooves as they ran off never to be seen again. This was 20-30 minutes before the end of shooting light so I worked my way the 1.5 miles back to camp and actually got a good nibble from another unseen bull in some timber along the way but never got to see him. Figure he was a bit less than a hundred yards out from me.

Last edited:
Cool video, amazing to see them playing, and then disappearing in a deep hole.

As for wallowing bulls, we saw a ton of that sort of action. Spent almost an entire day just filming them while looking for 'the one'.

This patch of wallows was pretty busy most of the day....and there were MANY others all over the mountainside I was glassing with bulls coming and going. The same day ABQBW was glassing this area from a very different vantage so he saw things I did not and vice versa.TWallowsEmptyP1011100.jpg

Here’s another bull I filmed wallowing:

835E9F01-08EA-4A11-914C-5CDEE710F4E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Another bull video and still photo we filmed muddying up…And noted previously a big part of the fun we had on this 20 days of hunting was taking our time to enjoy just seeing and capturing on film all these elk just doing what they do. Amazing to see so much going on out in the wide open all during the day. Seems many hunt areas that you have to be in them at first and last light but that was not that case with this herd deep in the wildeness and no evidence of other hunters running around.

F4CE3B65-80A1-4D1B-A6F5-6AE9487E37F3.jpeg

C416BD91-9F63-4023-9AA3-05ACD9758725.jpegD8A9B5A1-8902-4C73-A6C8-61C99B2F3A4C.jpeg

Last edited:
ABQBW relaxing while glassing for bulls.
TBrandonRelaxingIMG_8569.jpg

Me as we traversed a scree field the day we chased elk completely around the big knob

TKirbyScreeFieldMG_8456cropped.jpg

ABQBW leading the llamas as they pack our camp to the spot 7 miles deep.
TPackingCampLlamaIMG_2154.jpg

E7BBE8B0-DB44-46D2-8644-8CF1140C732F.jpeg

Emergency boot waterproofing by ABQBW. It actually worked for a couple days.
3F34709A-0047-4F9F-9E1D-29B273A4F7E0.jpeg

A darn nice sunset view from camp

TLandscape_SunsetIMG_8630.jpg

Powell, loaded and ready. The llamas really were quite easy to work with.

50054CC4-DEBE-49D2-9344-12C3BF585678.jpeg

Just a nice view
BA851C75-1FB2-4D42-8484-2AA4CD40A2B2.jpeg

Last edited:
On day 6 we split up to hunt solo. I called in a 280-290" bull right in to me in bow range and passed on the shot opportunity in the morning about a mile from camp. Also called in a raghorn to 15 yards before that. Then heard a really cool sounding bull with an unusual squeal of a bugle above me to the south. Sounded like a good bull best I could tell. I climbed up 800 or so feet to tree line and maybe 900 yards laterally working toward the bull that seemed to be right on the lip of a broad saddle working left and right along it as I approached. I called a little bit to just keep him actively bugling and engaged so I knew where he was.

I got close to where I though he was in the saddle right at tree line. The other side of the saddle was the top end of a mile and a half long sloping meadow that wrapped around the mountain and that was just a few hundred feet below tree line. There were intermittent bands of thick timber on the uphill side of the meadow and the downhill side of the meadow for the full 1.5 length dropped into thick timber down 800 feet or so to bottom of a major drainage. Opposite side of that creek is where many of the bull I filmed rutting, wallowing and sparring were posted up the last several days.

Here is a screenshot. The green marker at top on the red line is the saddle. Believe bull went down and to left into timber to bed. Screen shot only shows perhaps 1/3 of the 1.5 mile length of meadow that continues off bottom of photo.

Worth a repeat...That entire timbered hillside opposite side of creek on the right was elk central all week. Screaming bulls pretty much all day every day and where a lot of the filming of wallowing/rutting bulls took place.

Tscreenshotsaddle.png

Anyway once I got ‘to” the bull it was 9ish in the morning and he clammed up. Best I could tell he had dropped into one of the above bands of timber. No idea at the time if he was solo or with a herd (but later that day I would find out!) Hint hint…queue foreshadowing music that tells ya good things will happen soon…

At bottom right of the photo at end of red line is where I ended up late that afternoon glassing the pandemonium that was the wild rutting scene. About 4:30 pm (shooting lights ends about 6:45). That red line actually shows pretty much but not exactly where I hunted downward from the saddle mid day to right side of meadow and sat a couple wallows (and took a nap). All the bugling was still down that drainage mid day on both sides of the creek so about 2 pm I start chasing the closer bugle and ended up at tail of the red line. So come 4:30 and I am looking at some great elk action and constant bugling. A couple herds were at head of drainage just off bottom of photo.

I decided I would not drop to the bottom to give chase and decided I would hunt back toward the meadow above me and see if I could dig up the squealer from the morning just just sounded so good.

Getting to THE END. The lowermost red pin in screen shot is where I killed my bull!

Last edited:
So at 4:30 as noted in prior post I was below the meadow in the timber glassing a lot of elk action. I walked away from all that goodness to shorten the 3 mile distance I was from camp for the evening hunt and look for the morning bull with the distinctive squeal that had dusted me.

I started hiking back uphill toward the meadow sorta following the red line in prior post screen shot but ending up a good ways left of the blue pin on this screenshot. My strategy was to simply work the edge of the meadow along as much of it as possible and hunt my way to the saddle toward camp to see what may be firing up for the evening.

Across meadow from me I had one plain jane sounding bull bugling above me BUT THEN I also heard way up meadow toward the saddle the squealing bull I was actually hoping to find again from the morning. At least it sounded just like him.

TFinalStalk.png

Seemed the squealing bugle bull was in the very timber strip I had guessed he may have bedded in. That strip is up and slightly left of red pin in above screen shot. I worked my way along the edge of the meadow kinda along the red line to about the red pin on edge of meadow, staying in trees cover as long as it lasted. Hopefully can see the trees petered out to sparse trees a couple here and there every 10-30 yards. Cuz, well that is an important location, soon…

I got to the red pin above, where I was looking up meadow toward the saddle and out of cover and with the wind saw no way to close the distance. I also presumed no way the bull would hoof it the half mile in the open to me calling from very sparse trees. He was answering my bugles but nothing that sounded like I had him really fired up.

About 3 times i was determined to pack it up and get on over the saddle to seek better opportunity for the last hour or so of shooting light but tried a new tactic first. By then I was in extremely sparse cover and figured the bull was probably eyeballing me moving around a half mile from him.

Anyway, I switched to doing those "ridiculous" long drawn out hyper cow calls that I guess are supposed to indicate serious bull on cow harassment and rutting going on. Essentially a rapid series of high energy cow calls strung tightly together in a hot mess of calling.

The first hyper call sequence got a great response as did the 2nd but I was still stuck a half mile across wide open meadow and no way I could see to close the distance. I was again gonna pack it up but did one more sequence and 20 second later I see the bull 400 yards out and closing so I dodge behind one of the 10 foot "christmas trees" I was near. Next neaerest tree to me was 15 yards away so I was basically in the open except for the tree I was behind. Another quick look was all I needed to see!

This Bull, after 18 days of hunting checked all the boxes at a glance: great mass, good tine length, wide and he was still headed right at me. Did not spend time sizing him up in detail, it was just my immediate gut reaction that he was easily what I was after… and I would shoot if given the opportunity. I got down to thinking through possible shot distances and angle and options depending on where the bull went.

I was stuck setting up behind a tree and ranged the next nearest sizeable tree to me at 38 yards in the direction I thought the bull might walk by me. There were a couple 3-6 foot trees closer at pretty much point blank range but I was pretty much not going to be able to reposition much if at all with me and the bull out in the open.

The bull hung up at about 150 yards and being naturally overaggressive in my hunting style I WANTED TO CALL AGAIN. I like to say if the bulls aren't barking at me I am not hunting hard enough--such is the way I blow it all too often. LOL. But it would have been so obvious there were no elk anywhere near my calling location given the few trees around so I kept still and quiet watching the bull size things up for about a minute.

I could see this opportunity evaporating but then the bull continued marching forward. If he kept moving in a line I guessed he would come by near the 38-yard tree to my right but I was worried and half expected it might be at some too-far distance like 70 yards with no way for me to close the distance. I was not ranging but at about 75 yards the bull was approaching the last tall tree between him and me. As he passed it I drew knowing it was the only draw cover I would like get. I held at full draw with a mouth diaphragm call in my mouth so i might stop the bull if needed.

Less than a minute after coming to full draw the bull walked quartering to me, inside my 38-yard tree. And stopped and stared a hole through me. I was standing facing him at full draw and determined he was probably 33 yards and aimed at the front of his shoulder given the quartering too angle and released.

Last edited:
Heard the THWAP noise bow hunters love to hear but never actually saw where the arrow penetrated. As fast as I shot, the arrow was away and disappeared into or through the elk.

The bull wheeled around and started trotting back toward the meadow. In the moment I thought I may not have a blood trail and I wanted to see where he crossed the meadow so I could find him if he made it the near half mile to timber. I quickly moved forward 10 yards to look and saw the most wonderful sight for a bow hunter. The bull was 70ish yard away in the wide open and watched him tip right over. Shook his head maybe just once and then he was completely still.

I knocked an arrow and shuffled to a ranged 50 yards and stood there watching for any kind of movement till I was sure he was likely finished.

This is the bull as I walked up to him a few minutes later. No blood as the entry was on opposite side and the arrow (quarteing to) got lungs and everything between there and the opposite hind quarter. Upon gutless field dressing the broadhead was poking just beneath the skin just between hind quarter and body.
TrohpyBullasFoundIMG_2135.jpg

I only took 3 trophy photos as I was alone and had a lot of work to do and feel I lucked out on picture quality. At least I am happy with them.
TrophyHeadOnfixed.jpg

TrophyBroadsideView.jpg

This occurred Sept 25th, 9 miles from the trailhead and 2 miles from camp. The season ended Sept 30th and we still had ABQBW's tag to fill and for sure a lot of llama packing to do. More of the story and photos later....Hope this has been a decent read so far.

Last edited:
That is an excellent bull congrats. Also a beautiful area and sounds like an all around great hunt.

Spectacular bull Kirby. Well done indeed!

Great write up also. Thank you.

As great as inreaches can be they hve their technical issues. The day I killed this bull ABQBW and I were texting each other a lot and messages if they arrived at all were at least 2 hours late.

So when I texted I had a bull down he never saw the message. However messages going to/from peoples cell phones back home were fast to arrive. I texted my wife and Oak asking them to text ABQBW’s inreach and give him the news and coordinates. That worked and he arrived to help wrap up field processing and get meat hung about 9:30.

We then got back to camp a little after 1 am.
Note entry wound in high front of shoulder for the “quartering to” shot I took. Seemed to be the perfect spot to hit and was certainly devastating and yielded a very quick kill.

5943D9BE-C9A3-485C-B764-F970E22096B3.jpeg

Hard to see but this is the broadhead end of arrow that ended up just under skin by inside of opposite side hind quarter.
7BF7A3F5-6D14-4286-9C4C-91CF72A10353.jpeg

ABQBW working on the the bull. We both agreed on a couple things about this bull 1) just how huge his neck was, huge circumference and 2) how perfectly clean and slick his hide was…would think a bull like this would be muddy and roughed up by Sept 25 but this bull was spotless.

2F83EE3E-92B7-416D-9108-57090621290E.jpeg

Last edited:
Packing out a bull is when llamas really earn their keep.it was awesome to put the entire bull on the 2 llamas for the 2 mile pack to camp the next day. They did a terrific job.

7C94C546-9F92-4657-B05F-BD595211903C.jpeg

50785B59-2CA9-4E08-85BB-AE06FA2583D9.jpegFD50DEF7-0D10-4379-967C-231B8C684484.jpegC32FDEBC-E027-41CD-B8DA-24824872BA0E.jpeg4F03B397-647A-45B7-91C3-B769F720B3E2.jpegC3CF68C4-36E4-4923-A43D-7F3B6F556435.jpeg8F502EA3-BF10-4982-860C-579F79424D64.jpeg2049A331-1226-4CFE-BC52-5FAC084D6A95.jpeg

Attachments

• 675C9339-EB43-43A4-83AC-DA1CD7E88C75.jpeg
    675C9339-EB43-43A4-83AC-DA1CD7E88C75.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 2DC72639-0BEE-4EA6-B7DB-ECB4C6D9A957.jpeg
    2DC72639-0BEE-4EA6-B7DB-ECB4C6D9A957.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Back