Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

KHunter 2022 ID bull and CO cow moose hunts

I suspected but had no time to really look till now but the bull I killed was videod 6.5 miles as a crow flies and two rivers away on Sept 11. Here is that vid of him eating birch tree leaves.

He also had been eating one of my new friends over on that rivers apples and tearing into his broccoli in his garden, repeatedly. He said “ I hope you get him”. I had no luck digging him up wy over on that draiinage, but as bulls do in the rut he was making lots of miles searching for cows to breed. I was literally going to float and call in that other drainage on Friday/yesterday but he made a mistake along the big river on Thursday, so he hopped a ride in my Tundra to Colorado yesterday.

Crazy how hunts unfold sometimes.

Here are comparison photos, Absolutely same bull. How cool is that? Very cool to me. And in the process of trying to hunt that specific bull I made a bunch of new friemds that live over there, provided land access and one of whom, Ross, mace the video in his yrd and is also one of the guys who dropped what he was doing Sunday to help me track the bull I ultimately lost.8E70BC45-8FC9-4571-9F99-00413F2558AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Kirby, Great story! All said and done, would you apply for the same unit again or try a different unit with more public land?

Kirby, Great story! All said and done, would you apply for the same unit again or try a different unit with more public land?
More public sure would have been nice. very marginal unit which I knew when I applied could take a lot of days and it delivered a lot of days with no moose.

For me, any bull moose tag was the goal and I knew I would give it my all to move the low success odds in my favor.

Worked out on this one but boy did I suffer with same strategy last year with marginal bison tag:

Guess it is all about the hunting and planning and scheming and less about kill odds for me cuz I love it all.

Last edited:
Dropped the bone in quarters and all the other meat at processor yesterday morning one scale is the quarters and one backstrap and random meat. The other is the tub of all other side meats and a backstrap, no rib bones, trimmed that meat. the heart was in the pile as the only innards.

I shoulda had him get a weight on the bone in quarters alone just to know but didn't.

I was getting a weight on everything just out of curiosity but took the straps, tenders and both briskets (cant wait to cook) home to process my self per usual. Adds up to 463.5 pounds. Not sure if that is hefty or not but borrowing s freezer from @Dinkshooter today till @abqbw comes by after @Gerald Martin sheep hunt to pick up his half. Brandon put in 25 days on my NM antelope and this moose hunt so half this moose is his for that and cuz he is my brother of course.

How much do mature Shiras bulls usually weigh on the way in the meat cutter door?

I am thinking this one fattened up eating all those apples snd broccoli out of Jerry’s garden. Jerry said he really ate him out of house and home in September. LOL. However this bull was rut lean. @Bryerific and I were discussing how he had almost no stored fat at all. Bet he was making lots of miles cruising for chicks.

B8868970-8F54-4853-A33F-E3FE2F7E30B2.jpeg

A2BB65DD-5190-4CC9-A8B7-9BD81304142D.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a good bull would have been 500 if he was all bone in I bet. A very very big Canadian moose would go 600 bone in but most mature bulls are in the 500’s especially after the rut is over

Sounds awesome except the amount of worthless posts people would make in an attempt to reach exclusive limited entry status would become a problem. We could call it post creep. I’m sure @wllm could make a flow chart of some sort to show how this would positively and negatively effect us. That is if he isn’t too busy sheep hunting.
Come on now.

I got there by watching the WHO AM I page and impersonating Cush. "Welcome.", " Welcome from...."
I'm competitive and couldn't stand not to have my 113 points.

I found a dead moose hanging in a makeshift log swing last fall while guiding a moose hunter in Colorado. I smelled it first and we followed our noses Pretty weird thing to see a moose half off the ground in the middle of the national forest and odd way to go for sure. He didn't appear to struggle much based on the ground around him. I was surprised he couldn't break the ropes. I reported it to CPW and went back a couple weeks later and retrieved the horns and skull. I left a piece of rope attached to the horns.
If I'm ever chosen for "Alone" I will used this snare set for sure.

Back