Kentucky Elk Draw

Nothing. Tried for all 4 hunts as usual.

I just want to get the archery cow tag and I'll be happy!

Holy smokes, looks like I'm going elk hunting in Kentucky this fall. Archery cow for me as well.

Holy smokes, looks like I'm going elk hunting in Kentucky this fall. Archery cow for me as well.

That's Awesome J! Best of luck! That would be a fun hunt. Keep us updated with lots of pics!

Got home from vacation today and found a letter from FDFWR saying I got a firearms second season bull tag. I'm so stunned and excited I literally don't know what to do next.

Congrats man on a tough draw even the cows. LOL I wish I could draw some of the units are like an hour from me give or take

Congrats guys!
Hopefully we get a couple good success stories posted on here this fall.
Once again, they got a donation from me.

I was just down there about a month ago and saw seven cows eating up a guys winter wheat field not 20 feet of the road. I have heard that landowners are real friendly toward cow elk hunters and will let you hunt their lands if you ask. You may want to talk to some wardens down there and see if they can help you out with it. Good luck!

EDIT: You also might want to check out Paul Van Booven WMA as it was full of elk sign when we were there. I think it is an archery only area. I'm not sure if it is in one of the limited or at large areas.

Last edited:
Got home from vacation today and found a letter from FDFWR saying I got a firearms second season bull tag. I'm so stunned and excited I literally don't know what to do next.

Congrats super jealous!

Congrats to all who drew! I struck out 4th year in a row as a KY resident. Don't forget to put in for the limited entry areas (LEA) as the harvests rates and public land available is higher.

GOOD LUCK!!

I was just down there about a month ago and saw seven cows eating up a guys winter wheat field not 20 feet of the road. I have heard that landowners are real friendly toward cow elk hunters and will let you hunt their lands if you ask. You may want to talk to some wardens down there and see if they can help you out with it. Good luck!

EDIT: You also might want to check out Paul Van Booven WMA as it was full of elk sign when we were there. I think it is an archery only area. I'm not sure if it is in one of the limited or at large areas.

Van Booven is in the Hazard LEA so you will need to apply for that area. I had a bull tag last year and never got mine but there is a lot of elk. The locals are not to friendly from my experience. Nobody wants you in their property and all the Bulls seemed to be on private property. I got told no many times. They either don't let people on their property they don't know or they leese to outfitters. I was really pumped about getting an archery bull tag in my home state and walked away really disappointed how it turned out. Van Booven is definitely worth checking out though. Saw a lot of cows there. If you go to that area let me know I'd love to give you as much info as I can.

They also had Robison Forest off limits last year. They didn't announce that till after I got drawer for the LEA. It borders the Revelation energy access that borders Van Booven. Saw 2 monster Bulls that where hanging out there and on the private property on the north border of the Revalation access area. They knew they were safe over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back