Kenetrek or Schnees packboots

golfer

Looking at purchasing some pack boots. Thinking 13” not sure which model to go with. What are others experiences with these two companies pack boots?

I have a pair of hunter II's from Schnees that I have been using through wet bogs hunting bear/bobcat. I wore them winter camping as well in the Boundary Waters last year. Very happy with them. Its nice to be able to switch out the boot liners every day and have a pair drying in the tent.

I have never owned a pair of kenetrek so can't say anything there.

I have a pair of hunter II's from Schnees that I have been using through wet bogs hunting bear/bobcat. I wore them winter camping as well in the Boundary Waters last year. Very happy with them. Its nice to be able to switch out the boot liners every day and have a pair drying in the tent.

I have never owned a pair of kenetrek so can't say anything there.
How does their sizing run?

Sizing seems really accurate for a mid-weight sock. I wouldn't add any size over your normal shoe size. The combination of boot+400g liner comes out really close to normal shoe size of 12 for me.

I would disagree with Thusby. My hunters seem to run a size big, even with two thick socks. I am pretty unhappy with how cold my Schnees are. If I could do it again I would definitely get a cold weather boot from Cabelas, something with 1200+ grams of insulation.

I've run Schnees Pacs for years, I wouldn't recommend sizing up as they are a bit larger I feel. If you're looking for something a little warmer than the Hunter II the Extremes I believe are 600 gram insulated and have a 400 gram liner which is removable. Giving it a whopping 1000 gram insulation. I have no complaints with mine wore them all weekend hunting elk. Usually use them for lions. You'll be happy, as for the Kenetreks I don't have any of their pacs but I have their mountain boots. I am sure that you'll be happy either way with both of them. Both solid companies.......

My college graduation in 1998 present was a pair of Schnee's packs (13" uppers). I wore them yesterday.

I've had them re-sole'd 2 times and replaced the liners about 5 years ago. It's been so long ago that I don't remember sizing them.

I have a pair of Kenetrek Grizzly pacs, 13-inch. I have put serious miles on them in the mountains and they have been fantastic. From looking at them, I don't see a dime's worth of difference between Kenetrek and Schnee. I think that the prices are even comparable.

I have only worn schnee's. I have a pair of the Hunters II, and I don't have a negative thing to say about them. They are a fantastic boot, and I find they run true to size.

I’m going into my second season with Kenetrek Grizzlies. I wish I would have done it years ago. They are true to size with a pair of heavy merino socks.

+1 for Schnee's Hunter IIs. Only had them 1 year but they fit great and have kept my feet very warm and dry. Ordered my regular size and they fit perfect with a thick pair of merino wool socks.

I love my Schnees Hunter 2s. Warm & very comfortable, even when hiking. I don’t have anything to say about them.

I have the Schnee's extremes. Mine were purchased 20+ years ago and rebuilt last year for a $100.00. They are very warm and fit to your regular size. Kenetrex has a 20% off sale until 12-31-2019 that include all their regular and pac boots. Looking at both boots the only difference I see is the tread on the sole. Kenetrex has the K pattern and Schnee's has air bob. Kenetrex has a great price during this sale and is cheaper even with out it. So if your serious about getting a pair now is the time to do it.

I can't speak to Schnees but I know I'd buy them before I ever bought another pair of Kenetrek. I get that mine are the Bridger Ridge and not their higher end boots, but they still carry the Kenetrek name so I expected better quality. The "Lows" are completely falling apart and you can see I'm not even close to wearing through the sole yet, it's just barely eating the color off the orange parts. I also bought the waterproof taller version and though the stitching held up better, the glue on the rubber toe rand failed early and the waterproof membrane was a moisture wick from the outside-in within the first year. They are comfortable but I can't wear them if there is even dew on the ground or my socks get soaked. Very disappointed with them.
20191225_225240.jpg
20191225_225313.jpg

20191225_225350.jpg

20191225_230527.jpg

20191225_230551.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my Schnee's Hunter II boots in 2002- rebuilt them twice. They are great boots, but sizing is a bit large. They are warm and comfortable, and I can hike all day long in them. Keep them oiled right and they are waterproof too.
I have never tried the Kennetrek boots.

I've gone through two pairs of schnees pacs now and they are good. This past year I bought a pair of Hoffman pac boots that are essentially the same but $100 cheaper. So far they've been good with no complaints.

Last edited:
In my experience the airbob soles on the Schnees offer better traction on slick surfaces like packed snow than the Kennetrek tread pattern does. The K tread pattern isn't as aggressive. Otherwise they are both really good boots.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back