Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Keep building Wyoming elk points?

archerynut21

I am trying to decide if I should keep buying Wyoming elk points, currently I have 3 (would have 4 but decided not to last year) but with tag costs and the possible cap for non residents to 10% is it worth it to keep buying them? I will have 5 points going into next year for deer and antelope. But lower tag costs and I enjoy hunting muleys a lot more and would like a nice antelope at one point.

You'll never catch up now, so it will all be random draw for you.

There's only like 143k people in line ahead of you.

Well this thread is depressing.....

I feel like a dumb ass for thinking I'm going somewhere with 2pts. I'll keep donating

I'd at least keep going until you draw a GEN tag but that's just me.
That's my thinking but I have a non scientific cap at 4 points. I refuse to pay double for one tag. I hope non-residents put a class action law suit on the state of Wyoming and force them to refund hunters preference points. While I do support 90/10 for the benefit of the residents (Im NR) they at the very least need to make people whole again who were buying into a system with totally different odds.

I am trying to decide if I should keep buying Wyoming elk points, currently I have 3 (would have 4 but decided not to last year) but with tag costs and the possible cap for non residents to 10% is it worth it to keep buying them? I will have 5 points going into next year for deer and antelope. But lower tag costs and I enjoy hunting muleys a lot more and would like a nice antelope at one point.
Well do you want to hunt elk or what? If you’re not interested, I’m not sure why you were buying points to begin with. If you do want to hunt elk, apply every year and buy a point if you don’t draw the tag you wanted. Even if 90/10 is passed you’ll be able to cash in eventually.

If you want a nice antelope, buying points does not accomplish that goal. Drawing a tag and actually hunting will get you there.

That's my thinking but I have a non scientific cap at 4 points. I refuse to pay double for one tag. I hope non-residents put a class action law suit on the state of Wyoming and force them to refund hunters preference points. While I do support 90/10 for the benefit of the residents (Im NR) they at the very least need to make people whole again who were buying into a system with totally different odds.
If you think you're going to get refunded your points, you should just keep buying them... Personally, I think you're in for some disappointment in that regard though.

If you think you're going to get refunded your points, you should just keep buying them... Personally, I think you're in for some disappointment in that regard though.
I'm aware, I feel bad for guys who have been waiting a long time and will wait even longer...I don't know enough about law to even begin to understand a lawsuit like that and i know it won't happen most likely. Like I said I stand with Wyoming Res in the 90/10 but not giving half to outfitters.

I'm still buying but when I'm ready and able to break away from work I'll put in for a hunt I know I can draw. It's pretty simple I think. Of course I could be wrong like the other 99% of the time LOL

All jokes aside, if you don’t have a plan it might not make sense. If you have points in other states you are best to burn them sooner than later. Increased demand, diminishing resources and habitat, monetizing wildlife and hunting are going to break every system throughout the west. I’m cheering for the animals and not the hunters I suspect they will both lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back