Yeti GOBOX Collection

Keep America Fishing

Bucnutz.wis

Oppose the Proposed Federal Ban on Lead in Fishing Tackle

The Situation
On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more.

It is important that anglers send your comments now! Let your voice be heard!

On August 27, 2010, the EPA denied the petition for ammunition but maintained the petition to ban lead fishing tackle. Supporters of hunting and the shooting sports have been successful in having ammunition excluded from this ban.

~~~~~~~~~
I just took action on this fishing access issue and thought you might find it interesting too.

Click on this URL to take action now
http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/utr/2/?a=16355526&i=100469436&c=

Thank you for your support.

Bucnutz.wis

Oppose the Proposed Federal Ban on Lead in Fishing Tackle

100% and have submitted my comment. Thanks for bringing this up again. The more exposure to outdoorsmen... hopefully the less likely EPA will follow up with this ridiculous ban.

Lead weight ban... what a joke! Next fishing line ban?

100% and have submitted my comment. Thanks for bringing this up again. The more exposure to outdoorsmen... hopefully the less likely EPA will follow up with this ridiculous ban.

Lead weight ban... what a joke! Next fishing line ban?

You support putting lead in our water systems?

Why would you be against the removal of a hazardous substance like lead from our lakes, rivers, and streams?

Good question Jose... I am not necessarily against the removal of hazardous materials from our environment. And if you'd like to remove the lead pellets from the bottom of our water systems, go for it... your probably pretty good at it.

I am however, 110% against any regulatory ban on the mfg, sale, and use of lead based products directed toward the fishing & hunting industries and outdoor enthusiasts that use those products.

There have been alternative products on the market for some time now. If Joe Public want to switch, great.... But a nationwide ban is just another narrow minded ploy to strip us of our freedom.

There have been alternative products on the market for some time now. If Joe Public want to switch, great.... But a nationwide ban is just another narrow minded ploy to strip us of our freedom.

Do you think it was wrong to discontinue the use of Asbestos? Do you miss your freedom to have Asbestos all over your house?

typical josie. trying to switch the topic. some things never change. still use the lead sinkers and jig heads I have used for years.

josie likes the government to control what he can do.

Birds that feed in shallow shoreline areas swallow pebbles and gravel to help them grind up and digest food. Lead sinkers, especially small split shots, may be mistaken for gravel, and accidentally swallowed. Waterbirds, especially deep-diving birds such as loons, may also swallow sinkers when eating fish with attached lead fishing tackle.
http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/animals.cfm
The best wording to support a nationwide fishing lead ban... and that is as good as it gets?

A small split shot weight mixed in with gravel... on the chance someone got snagged and a split shot was left behind... that small split shot is the culprit for dead ducks?

The tax aspect of ammo defined EPA's lack of authority on banning lead shot. This is a FAR stretch to assume a rare small split shot mixed in with the small gravel is the culprit. Lead shot from duck hunting would leave qty's X's any random small split shot fishing weight left behind from a snagged line. To define the bird loss attributed to fishing is a far cry from reality.
A loon that has the rare occasion of consuming a fish that broke a fishermans line... Is about as viable a loss as a fisherman claiming a rare lottery win of catching a SMALL sized fish with a lure still in it's lip...
Their PRIMARY fish? Yellow Perch. Ya... the last time my fishing line snapped due to a perch... never?

This is a FAR stretch of the truth to claim loons of any qty are killed due to catching a perch with a lead lure hooked lip.

Reality - one thing EPA should evaluate.

Good point Sytes - thanks for sharing !!

Here is link to support a new bill to prevent the ban:

On Wednesday, September 28, Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) introduced S.3850, which seeks to prevent an overarching federal ban on lead in recreational fishing tackle. If enacted, this ban will have a significant economic impact on anglers and the recreational fishing industry.

http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=17980506

WooHoo! Damn straight!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

WASHINGTON -- The Environmental Protection Agency denied on Thursday a petition by several environmental groups to ban lead in fishing tackle, two months after rejecting the groups' attempt to ban it in hunting ammunition.

The EPA said that the petition did not demonstrate that a ban on lead in fishing tackle was necessary to protect against unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment, as required by the Toxic Substances Control Act.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back