Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kansas youth hunt

ashersdad

Both my boys drew whitetail tags this year for Kansas but because of other commitments they won’t be able to go out with me in December for the general deer season. So we decided to give the youth hunt a try. We figured it would be a tough hunt with all the corn still standing and the hot weather. We were correct in that assumption. We’d see deer activity for 30 minutes at first light and 30 minutes before dark and that was it. And all we were seeing were does. After a couple days Isaac decided to fill his doe tag. It was a hard quartering shot and she only went 30 yards.
1568599425962.jpeg
We would make pushes during the day with little success. The boys also did some dove hunting.
1568599547000.jpeg

My oldest was determined to shoot a buck or eat tag soup. On the 5th and last day of our hunt we had only seen one small spike buck so I asked Asher if he wanted to fill his doe tag. He again declined. Well as luck would have it a nice buck came out with about 20 minutes of light left and he made a great shot at 320 yards.
1568599905092.jpeg
A few more memories from our trip.
1568600011424.jpeg

1568600134718.jpeg

It was a very different hunt than what I’m used to in Kansas but we had a great time as usual in that great state.

Kansas state reptile.......ornate box turtle. Sometimes very odiferous!

Congratulations to all.

Do you drive down from Oregon? That's a fair distance to drive.

Kansas state reptile.......ornate box turtle. Sometimes very odiferous!

Congratulations to all.

Do you drive down from Oregon? That's a fair distance to drive.

Those turtles are so cool! My boys love them. One of the landowners told us about a huge snapping turtle he’d seen in the creek. Now that would be neat to see.

Yep, I make the drive every year. When we pulled into home today we had done 3,684 miles start to finish.

PS: how can your boys be that big/old??

I'm glad for Asher that he held out for a buck and was rewarded with a buck with a really huge body. That buck has been eating well.

Congrats to both the boys! That's quite a nice shot on that buck and really cool that he was patient to hold out for so long and it really paid off. Sounds like a trip full of great memories for your family.

That’s awesome. Those boys will talk about that trip forever.
My son and I made a couple of Thanksgiving archery hunts to Kansas when he was in his early teens. Good times.

I'm currently trying to duplicate your boys' efforts in Kansas.. hot and buggy! Fun though.

Congrats to you and both your young hunters.

Back