Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota

Shortbowshot

I somehow ended up with a pocket full of tags. Archery in Kansas and Iowa then Black Hills any deer for South Dakota.
I'm not a great story teller but I'll try to post pictures as I go along. We started in Kansas today It's been a good day so far I saw a great buck right at daylight chasing a doe. Watched them go into a thicket and hopefully bed down. It was terribly windy. I'm parked at his back door for the evening. Big brother saw a decent buck this evening so far. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 16667335051092156047612255260905.jpg
    16667335051092156047612255260905.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
Well that went like a train wreck. Like I thought the buck bedded in a little 1acre patch of thick stuff. I climbed in the stand at 1:30 today. It was Slow until about 20 minutes of shooting light left. 4 does came by and were meandering around. Apparently he had been bedded 125 yds from me all day. He stood up in his bed and stood there until I was thinking there was gona be no chance.
At that point things went south. I got the idea to sneak down my tree and try to sneak up on him.
Which partially worked. I got low in the tall grass and started grunting softly and walking straight towards him. He let me get within 30 yd before blowing and heading out.
I pretty much melted down. I thought I'd grown out of that.
Maybe tomorrow . If not it's back to work for a few days.

Sorry I left this hanging. Sometimes life gets in the way. New plans for now. Iowa was a go and success. South Dakota is canceled. Might get to sneak off to Kansas for a couple days next week.
I'll get the Iowa story as well as I can in a day or 2.

Attachments

• 20221105_132613.jpg
    20221105_132613.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
I didn't want to be that guy. So here goes.
My trip to Iowa was a short 4 day hunt. Action was a bit slow. I passed up the most mature buck of the trip the first afternoon. It warmed up from there. Day 3 I got in the stand and the wind was completely wrong. After sitting for an hour I finally sent a text to my brother that I was moving. The wind was blowing like crazy. I pulled my stand and lugged everything 200 yds. Only to find someone's camera on the tree I wanted in. I moved a few yds and put my stand up. 8:30 by now sweaty and disgusted after clanking around for 20 minutes.
I climbed into place and remembered hmm I've got coffee. I dug through my pack and recovered my thermos. Poured a cup and glanced around.
You know what then... my buck was 8yds under me. I Have no idea from where. He was walking the way rutting bucks do. The fire drill commenced as I tried to get coffee put up gloves and reach my bow. All I can say is that it was his day to die. I got him stopped at 25yds and he stood long enough to get the shot. The rest is history.
We didn't get to go to South Dakota and Kansas ended up being a couple days around Christmas.
Sometimes our years don't go as planned and I've been blessed with many good years. Hopefully everyone had a great fall I've enjoyed following the many awesome adventures that took place this year.
Happy New Year!!

I didn't want to be that guy. So here goes.
My trip to Iowa was a short 4 day hunt. Action was a bit slow. I passed up the most mature buck of the trip the first afternoon. It warmed up from there. Day 3 I got in the stand and the wind was completely wrong. After sitting for an hour I finally sent a text to my brother that I was moving. The wind was blowing like crazy. I pulled my stand and lugged everything 200 yds. Only to find someone's camera on the tree I wanted in. I moved a few yds and put my stand up. 8:30 by now sweaty and disgusted after clanking around for 20 minutes.
I climbed into place and remembered hmm I've got coffee. I dug through my pack and recovered my thermos. Poured a cup and glanced around.
You know what then... my buck was 8yds under me. I Have no idea from where. He was walking the way rutting bucks do. The fire drill commenced as I tried to get coffee put up gloves and reach my bow. All I can say is that it was his day to die. I got him stopped at 25yds and he stood long enough to get the shot. The rest is history.
We didn't get to go to South Dakota and Kansas ended up being a couple days around Christmas.
Sometimes our years don't go as planned and I've been blessed with many good years. Hopefully everyone had a great fall I've enjoyed following the many awesome adventures that took place this year.
Happy New Year!!
Pics! Pics! Pics!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back