Kansas deer rifle or archery

TN VOL

Hey guys looking to maybe apply for Kansas, my sons and I have pref points from not drawing last year. We’re contemplating going rifle instead of archery now. Does anyone have experience hunting Kansas around units 3 & 7 in rifle? We would have access to some private plus the walk in areas. We Have never hunted Kansas and rifle doesn’t begin until November 30th which is past most of the rut activity, how hard is it to find bucks during that season? I know that part of KS by the maps looks to be very open. Anyone have an opinion which would be a better family hunt? Rifle or archery??

Plan on making alot of pushes to get the deer moving and hopefully kick out the bucks. Makes for some tough shots but definitely works. I've hunted both and the deer are definitely more active during archery. Rifle is alot of fun but there is also a ton of pressure from other hunters. Depends on what kind of hunt you're looking for. Rifle season you'll be hunting very pressured deer. Archery, not so much. Archery I've gone days without seeing another hunter. Rifle can be a zoo. Either way, hard to beat a Kansas deer hunt.

Plan on making alot of pushes to get the deer moving and hopefully kick out the bucks. Makes for some tough shots but definitely works. I've hunted both and the deer are definitely more active during archery. Rifle is alot of fun but there is also a ton of pressure from other hunters. Depends on what kind of hunt you're looking for. Rifle season you'll be hunting very pressured deer. Archery, not so much. Archery I've gone days without seeing another hunter. Rifle can be a zoo. Either way, hard to beat a Kansas deer hunt.
What part of November do you recommend for archery?? I was told Nov 20-Thanksgiving..what’s your thoughts on that?

What part of November do you recommend for archery?? I was told Nov 20-Thanksgiving..what’s your thoughts on that?
I've only ever done the week of Thanksgiving and have almost always had rutting deer. Some years it seems we're a little late so a week earlier might be better.

My favorite archery time is anytime after Nov. 9th till the 20th or so in KS.
My favorite days by far fall into this time frame.

Food for thought for archery, bird season opens second Saturday in November. Could be a blessing and a curse. We don't have a ton of pheasant down here by Wichita so it really has little bearing on archery, but a lot of people will be around those units, especially 3, to hit the walk-ins for the upland opener.

I have some private access but it's not the greatest for deer. Usually end up on walk in areas.
That’s what I’ve been noticing on the land I have permission to hunt..the walk In areas look like better deer habitat in comparison

It's been a few years since I hunted KS. I only hunted there once with a rifle, and I will never go back. The hunting pressure was worse than here in MI on public land, but maybe private land wouldn't be as bad. We did get permission on private land for archery hunting and had great seasons and success. Good luck if you go.

Does anyone know if you don’t draw the archery tag does Kansas have leftover rifle tags to purchase OTC for non resident? I’m sure the sell out fast if they do..

Does anyone know if you don’t draw the archery tag does Kansas have leftover rifle tags to purchase OTC for non resident? I’m sure the sell out fast if they do..
Not sure about the rest of the state, but in the NW part of the state they don't. Last year was the first year my two boys and I all didn't draw a tag. Usually at least 2 of us draw and sometimes all 3. I don't know of any OTC rifle tags in Kansas.

Not sure about the rest of the state, but in the NW part of the state they don't. Last year was the first year my two boys and I all didn't draw a tag. Usually at least 2 of us draw and sometimes all 3. I don't know of any OTC rifle tags in Kansas.
Did you all apply for archery tags only or were one of your choices a rifle tag??

Did you all apply for archery tags only or were one of your choices a rifle tag??
Last year we applied for rifle since school and sports would not have allowed us to get there in November.

For 2021 I don't see that there were any leftover nr deer permits.

I know there are some OTC NR deer permits if you own enough land in Kansas, but I believe they are only good on that land. Also if you have direct family that owns land.

Last year we applied for rifle since school and sports would not have allowed us to get there in November.

For 2021 I don't see that there were any leftover nr deer permits.

I know there are some OTC NR deer permits if you own enough land in Kansas, but I believe they are only good on that land. Also if you have direct family that owns land.
That’s surprises me you didn’t draw a rifle tag..I thought they were 100% draw odds w/o points.I know the archery tag is around 60ish% w/o points

That’s surprises me you didn’t draw a rifle tag..I thought they were 100% draw odds w/o points.I know the archery tag is around 60ish% w/o points
Years ago you could draw every year, but not anymore. Last year in unit 3 there were 1661 1st choice applicants for 978 tags.

I live in the far western part of Kansas. I helped my nephew pick up a nice buck in the early youth season but still see a lot of deer. During warmer weather, the deer seem to only be active during the last hour of the day. As the deer get pressured more you start to find them in places that don't look like they would hold deer. Last season the hunting was rough during the rifle season with temps in the upper 70s-90s. We have also been lacking in rainfall so something to think about is hunting closer to water sources.

I live in the far western part of Kansas. I helped my nephew pick up a nice buck in the early youth season but still see a lot of deer. During warmer weather, the deer seem to only be active during the last hour of the day. As the deer get pressured more you start to find them in places that don't look like they would hold deer. Last season the hunting was rough during the rifle season with temps in the upper 70s-90s. We have also been lacking in rainfall so something to think about is hunting closer to water sources.
Good info..thank you sir

Years ago you could draw every year, but not anymore. Last year in unit 3 there were 1661 1st choice applicants for 978 tags.
I believe I understand now. I thought there were 978 archery tags then another pool of rifle tags separate from the 978..but just now realized that’s for archery muzzleloader and rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back