Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kaibab junior hunt

Bailer

Like many of you I spend a lot of time in the off-season scheming about draw odds and bonus points. With a family and job, it’s a balance to try to get enough hunts but not too more than I have vacation to handle. I knew my son would draw his first tag, junior antler less on the Kaibab. Gohunt confirmed my suspicion that my brother and I would be in the bonus pass for the early hunt 2 weeks later. Perfect, set camp and have a great time hunting with the kids, get my Son some chances at does, and simultaneously be scouting for our buck hunt. It laid out so perfect I only applied for long shots on elk. As they say about the best laid plans of mice and men... my brother is a non-resident and it doesn’t take many guys with higher points jumping in to throw gohunt’s numbers out the window.

No pressure son, you’ve got the only tag until Archery starts again in December.

We rolled in late afternoon Wednesday and set up camp. The drive in was interesting, as 2 reliable tanks were bone dry. We spent that evening glassing up in the burn. While we saw a few deer there weren’t as many as usual in that spot, wasn’t as green up there either.

Thursday morning we focused in the mid-elevation range, found some tanks with water, and a lot of deer. One bachelor group had one of those bucks that make the Kaibab worth all the points. Maybe he’ll survive until next year. My sons both spent some time chasing squirrels, learned to clean them, and decided they were great grilled with Cajun spice.

The hunt itself was a blur. My son wasn’t confident in his shooting and blew a couple chances attempting to get close before it all came together with a 60 yard shot. He dealt with the mixed emotions: success, death, the hunt is over etc... and can’t wait for next year.

Now time to get the bows back out and get ready for December.

Back